I Forge Iron

wood framed forge

Donnie

I've been thinking of building a wood framed forge for some time now. After seeing the recent thread by Ridgewayforge, I feel motivated to get it done.  I am going to make a firepot about the size of my two hands cupped together, maybe 8" across the top, and about 4" deep. I never use anything larger than 3/8" anymore, a lot of 1/4" stock.....gotta love arthritis! I was thinking about a fireclay mortar between the firepot and wood frame. I don't know how many inches of clay between the two would be enough to keep the wood from burning. I would like to use the minimum, so it will be as lightweight as possible. Any and all opinion and wisdom would be appreciated.

There is no reason why you couldn't build, say, a 2X2 table, put 2-3 inches of dirt or stone on top (contained, almost like a side-blast) and then have the tuyere sticking up, flush with the dirt. That should do it. 

That would be something lightweight and portable. Put some handles on it, and some detachable legs and it'd be very portable for you! 

Does it have to be bottom-blast?  Why couldn't you do a side-blast forge?  I've seen side-blasts that were as rudimentary as you could possibly get, so a 2x2 table would easily handle it.  Especially considering that you're working small stock only.

Small table with a clothes-dryer door for the top.  Cover that with some 2" red bricks (regular house type) dry-stacked together.  Cover that with some sand so you can form a small fire pit for the side-blast to function properly.....  Easy Peasy.

Gas forges require diffent tactics to use, it's real hard to isolate heat and you end up resorting to a torch. They also cost more to build and operate. Now that said I use one in my day job.
I'd have to agree with the side blast if your going for simple/ inexpensive.
2" of clay soil packed in all the way around should do the trick. Then ash, or lose sand will alow you to make your ducks nest for your fire.
But for a small coal or charcoal forge, other things come to mind, as well. A Christmas cookie tin as Tommas has suggested, bolt some handles on it, pack it with clay soil... Or anything else you can scrounge up. There is even a guy on the net using a plastic pickle bucket.

The fact that you can build a wood table, and then insulate the Firepot from the wood, does not mean that you should.

By the time you're done layering enough  KOA wool, Fire Brick, Refractory Cement and/or Clay to protect the wood from the fire, it will be heavier than a steel Firepot.

There's no need to "re-invent" this particular wheel.

Copy the design of any "portable" or "rivet" Forge.

Here's what I've used for 16 years. Wood is packing crates. Deck is scrap metal. Firepot is a brake drum. And Post vise was $5 at a yard sale. Last year I went to about 17 outdoor shows with it. It comes apart because early on all I had was a small trailer and had to load it by hand. Easier in smaller pieces.post-1024-0-70346500-1389244148_thumb.jppost-1024-0-05870000-1389244355_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. When I'm at a show I'm a magnet for wannabe blacksmiths. Which is how I was when I started so I know what its like. I show them it doesn't take much to get started and steer them to whatever local group there is.

That's as it should be, but very nice to hear none the less.  :)