I Forge Iron

How to get back into the swing of things

Hello all!

Today was my first time at the forge since March, I believe. I was fairly good before that, and was able to forge nice tapers and semetrical pieces. Now, however, I am slow at performing the basic tasks.

Is this normal, and how do I get back into the swing of things? Today has really eaten away some confidence I had in my abilities.

Thanks!

RidgewayForge

Greetings Ridge,

LOL   Just think of it like bowling or golf...  If you put it down for a spell you can't expect to start right back up... One of the biggest things in blacksmithing isn't what to do   But what not to do ... You will remember..   Take your time and have another go at it ..  Keep it simple make some hooks..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

its also a good time to consciously slow down, dont work at the speed you're mind tells you you "should" be able to work at, then pay attention to your "details", form, approach to the anvil,how your champherededges look, etc. you may be amazed at how many small things you will find that, before your layoff, were done automatically, and became a habit. work on correcting these.

then instead of this time being a "negative", it becomes a very positive step in your development as a smith

Yeah. just like said above.   Another way to say it is don't practice failure.   Start back easy and only move on when you do well.   This should be quick if you make it easy to start then easy to step by step move back towards where you thought you were.   Incorporate this work into a project if possible.    

You might also just take a piece of rebar or other hunk of metal to just get back into the swing by squaring up a long section.   Try to square it up and make it useful for something.    

The other things is....   MARCH!      that was 9 months ago.   Your problem ain't performing at the forge it is getting out to the forge and getting started.   So that is might first thought actually... which I will submit last.   Get Started!!!      Like Bilbo Baggins he just needed to get one step started and then another.   Get started.   Have an idea of what you want to accomplish either that night or preferably that week if you are slow like me.  Have a goal.   But get started!  Make something, learn from it and go from there.

Good Morning,

BornTwoLaight, Is that like a stutter??? :) :)

The double post referred to was removed by the moderators

Ridge - Start slow, make it NICE!!! Production isn't production, if you have to do it again.

Walk slow and carry a big stick!!

Don't count quantity, count QUALITY!!

Neil

I am in the same boat, I even got a blister where there used to be  a callous.  Anyway I decided to just start by doin fundamentals again, and taking breaks by playing on the power hammer. It is coming back faster, because I decided not to let the frustration mount, just go with the flow. Hammer control memory starts kicking back in fairly quickly, just be glad you don't have a master breathing down your neck and watching your every mistake.

That's true, there is no master smith breathing down my neck. I was able to slow down, and make something basic, a hood. I reigned myself in; I really wanted to start all the projects I had drempt of, but kept myself on task. This is what I came up with!

(the one on top is the one which I forged yesterday, the other one is the previous day's work.)

Thanks for all the input and support!

post-24020-0-02271500-1387579111_thumb.j

post-24020-0-62552100-1387579132_thumb.j

Something not mentioned above I find works well. Don't TRY, just go out and do it. Don't sweat getting it right while you're doing it, just do something familiar and let your muscle memory work unhindered. The above advice is all good, pick something simple and basic you were good at and just have fun. It'll all come back surprisingly fast if you don't get too hung up on getting it right.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, Frosty, that is the best advice for me. I'm a perfectionist, and I really want my work to be as good as it was before. But, I can't wait for perfection to catch up to me; I have to keep moving forwards! After all, its just heat and beat, right? Hammer marks are the new preferred finish, right?

also, maby add a new trick to your bag of--

perhaps do a slit and drift instead of a punched hole. which is truly just a combination of 3 basic moves...slit,upset,drift.

most impt!

pay attention to each blow. see what you are doing. if it looks good you will see why, if it looks bad you will see why.

words from a great man

"if the eye can't see it
the hand can't make it"

when you are where yer at
its a great time to improve yer "seeing"

don't Iive in the past
be inspired by the future
live in the now

oh yea, there's always one mastersmith around guess who that is. ;)