Steve Sells

Coal Rice Krispy Treats

3 Tbsp butter
6 cups marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla
5 cups cocoa krispies**
1 cup crushed oreos

black food coloring

coupon, so it was only like a buck, whoo hoo, go get some!)

Pour the rice krispies and oreos in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat until melted. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and add the marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows are mostly all melted (this will take a few minutes--low and slow is key for perfect texture). Add in the vanilla and black food coloring (keep adding until you get the color you want) and finish melting.

Once fully melted, take them off heat and pour over the rice krispies. Stir to combine until everything is black. Dump everything by spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet, so they look like funky coal shapes. Allow them to cool about 20 minutes. Enjoy!

** I actually used regular rice krispies, but as you can see there were still a few flecks of white showing through mine. So because hindsight is always better than foresight I recommend using cocoa rice krispies--they'd be easier to dye black. Not that it really matters I guess, just a thought.

post-2529-0-16186700-1386124981_thumb.jp

post-2529-0-07456100-1386124990_thumb.jp

Greetings Steve/Santa,

I have been a BAAAD boy this year ..  Maybe I'll get some of your coal...   I would like to have some on hand for when you get a new student..  Just imagine the look on their face when you grab a chunk off the forge and go about munching... 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Looks more like clinkers to me than coal. But I like the clinkers!  Thanks for posting the recipe!

My wife once made several pounds of marzipan coal for a feast for the SCA shire of Smithkeep (Fort Smith AR, USA) that came out like some of the bituminous coal I have used.  She started with raw almonds and I guess a lot of folks were spooked by it as we had a large amount of leftovers to nibble by the fire that winter.

• 3 weeks later...