I Forge Iron

forging railroad spikes

Howdy, I am New to the forum but not new to blacksmithing. I am a full time farrier. One of my horseshoeing clients asked if I could make him some small railroad spikes to use on his live steam railroad. He uses mine rail, I think it is 20 pound rail. The spikes would be made from 3/8" square bar. They need to be about 3" long. I am having trouble figuring out how to forge the head. Has anyone done this type of thing before? Any ideas on how to proceed.?

Greetings LM,

I think you could buy them on line..   If I were to make them I would start with 1/2 round bar and draw down the shank to 3/8 ..  It is a lot easier than upsetting a smaller bar...  That way you could work them off a longer bar without the use of tongs and slice them off like bologna . Then finish the sharp end... Not so hard...   Good luck

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I Forgot my manners ... Welcome to IFI and please complete your profile and general location

Thanks for the replies. I am almost sure he could buy them cheaper than I could make them except the freight charges. Plus it seems like a fun project. What do you mean by "upsetting matrix"? I was kinda thinking about building a big nail header and trying to shape the heads like a nail but just making the head one sided.

P.S. Jim coke, my profile is updated.

Actually freight charges might not be too bad.  You can use Flat Rate USPS boxes that can hold a lot of small spikes, and the weight limit for domestic use is 70 lbs.  If you can find a supplier, they should be able to package them in these boxes.  70 lbs box full anywhere in the country would be no more than $16.75. 

upsetting matrix a clamshell holder with the interior  hollowed out to hold the desired shaft shape and size exactly leaving just enough length above it to form the head.  Clamshell so you can pop the piece out afterwards when you open the vise.

I'd also do the chisel tip of the spike after upsetting allowing you to have a nice flat bottom to rest against the bottom of the hollow in the matrix.

As for "too many"  get a local smithing group to buy a bucket of them and divide up the rest.  When I brought a couple of dozen to Quad-State they were *very* popular with the RR spike knife crowd; (cue gnashing of teeth...)

Welcome aboard LM, glad to have you.

I'd be thinking a dog type header for the vise or hardy hole. By doge type I mean slips like a rod dog on a drill rig uses to keep the drill stem from falling down the casing while lowering or pulling it and breaking lengths from the string.

They're really simple devices, basically two jaws with an interior the right shape to grip the subject without letting it slip. The exterior is tapered so the dog makes a wedge. How it works is simple, the stock is inserted and the dog is slipped into the casing, vise jaws, hardy hole, whatever, as gravity tries to pull it down the wedge shaped slip dog pinches the stock and it can't go down any farther. As a spike header the harder you hit it the harder it will grip the spike. Removing it is as easy as a light tap from underneath.

I'd use an air hammer with a header to head the spikes, just too much hand hammering for this old coot.

Yeah, I can see the thing in my mind but I'd be checking into buying spikes were it my job.

Frosty The Lucky.

I may be over simplifying this as a newbie, but I recently decided I wanted to make nails, so made myself a header and went at it. 3/8 isn't very big, couldn't you use the same approach as heading nails? You might have to start with a little larger than 3/8 stock if that the size of shank wanted. As Jim suggested, 1/2 round miight be just about right.

Frosty - the device your describing sounds real interesting, but what is "the right shape" not to let the stock slip?

Frosty - the device your describing sounds real interesting, but what is "the right shape" not to let the stock slip?

The wedge shape is the outside of two "matching" sections, the spike or whatever fits in the space between the two slips. With the stock in the dog the halves are held apart a fraction of an inch so when the dog is dropped in the female receiver the wedging action drives the halves together and clamps the stock most thoroughly.

It works like a wedge door stop, the harder you try to move the door the more stopped it gets. The right angle we used as a rod dog drilling was a lot more acute than a door stop but a little less acute than a hammer handle wedge.

I've never made one so I don't have better numbers than thumbnail guesstimates. I'd be doing trial and error.

Frosty The Lucky.

L. M.,

These are oilfield slips like Frosty is referring to.  You can get an idea of the workings and the angles for the slips.  They just drop down the hole with the pipe inside and wedge it tight.  You don't need as many, just a couple like Frosty said.

http://www.jereh-oilfield.com/english/products/Rotary-Slip.shtm

The wedge shape is the outside of two "matching" sections, the spike or whatever fits in the space between the two slips. With the stock in the dog the halves are held apart a fraction of an inch so when the dog is dropped in the female receiver the wedging action drives the halves together and clamps the stock most thoroughly.

It works like a wedge door stop, the harder you try to move the door the more stopped it gets. The right angle we used as a rod dog drilling was a lot more acute than a door stop but a little less acute than a hammer handle wedge.

I've never made one so I don't have better numbers than thumbnail guesstimates. I'd be doing trial and error.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks, I'm thinking this technique might come in handy in a few different applications. I'll have to add it to the list of things to try :) .

I have made made false railroad spikes before 2 different ways, #1 way is to start with thicker stock then the shank and drawn it down (instead of upsetting) and #2 make a rivet block for my post vise and upset the head. Form a counter bore in it to make the tapered web part of the spike head and with a good heat you can forge the head in one heat depending on your skill level with this type of thing. You could also walk down some tracks and pick up some spikes (tracks go all over the place and spikes get replaced and the used ones are thrown on to the slag off to the side and left there) or you could buy them second hand on ebay for around 50 cents-$1 a spike +shipping.

-Crazy Ivan

I have made made false railroad spikes before 2 different ways, #1 way is to start with thicker stock then the shank and drawn it down (instead of upsetting) and #2 make a rivet block for my post vise and upset the head. Form a counter bore in it to make the tapered web part of the spike head and with a good heat you can forge the head in one heat depending on your skill level with this type of thing. You could also walk down some tracks and pick up some spikes (tracks go all over the place and spikes get replaced and the used ones are thrown on to the slag off to the side and left there) or you could buy them second hand on ebay for around 50 cents-$1 a spike +shipping.

-Crazy Ivan

At least in the US, I would stay off of any active railroad tracks.  Besides considered trespassing,  many police agencies take a dim view of anyone on tracks, or collecting anything from them.   I would not want to try to explain myself to Homeland Security or any other agency that I was only looking for "used spikes".