I Forge Iron

Is This Little Giant Worth the Price?

Looking at this 25# LG on that "e" site. I had bid just over 2K and have just been outbid. It does need new main bearings but I'm most concerned with the toggle arm pins at the ram. Is this an easy fix? I do know that you can get 1/8" oversize pins, but this one looks like it maybe over that from the picture below. I went and looked at this powerhammer last weekend for it's only 30 minutes from me and observed no cracks and no other worn out parts. Yes it does need the toggle arms replaced for I would worry about the brazing job done to them sometime in the past.
post-35726-0-69216000-1383178059_thumb.jpost-35726-0-25470500-1383178094_thumb.jpost-35726-0-42446900-1383178119_thumb.j
So.....is it worth going any higher? Auction ends tomorrow.
Thanks
Jake

Good Morning,

We can't say what worth is, that is up to you and how bad you want to fill a hole in your shop. It sure looks like there is a pile of work needed.

For what you will have into that hammer, you could buy a Kick-Ass Hammer, brand new. Or maybe a little Anyang.

just $0.02

Neil

Thanks for the feedback so far! I have 2 other LG's at home and I don't desperately need another one. I was trying to factor in location and the lack of shipping costs into this but Jeremy's comment hit it on the head, it's too worn out for that price. If I was able to purchase it for much less, I would consider it. Much like the 100#'r I got for scrap prices. Does need a complete rebuild and I plan on that after taking the LG class next March.

It was wired for single phase on a 3/4hp motor. And it was missing just a "little" of the babbet bearing.
Now it's one of those "when it rains it pours", there's another 25#r LG for sale on that e site for 1,500. It's down in Dinuba, maybe a hour plus drive. It's an old style but from the pics it has a funky looking bottom die mount. Sloped at an high angle that doesn't look right. I'm not going to post pics of this one, folks can go look it up themselves. No motor either...

I like the turn buckles holding it together! I think that one has been up for over a year. The one I mentioned earlier was a buy it now and it's GONE! I was kinda surprised. It was misleading on shipping, it had the "free shipping" banner on it but the fine print said come and get it only...

That one in the last pic isn't strapped together, it's "reinforced" like its an improvement if you read the listing... Because everyone preemptively puts a giant, ugly strap on a hammer to make it stronger!

He won't say why it is reinforced. I have emailed him. He didn't answer.