I Forge Iron

Ouroboros

Greetings Danger,

Wow ... I don't think most can relate the size..  36in tall.   That's a lot of work..   With all the forging you maintained the surface and texture.  I know how hard that is..   You for sure have my vote..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks! To give you an idea of scale the base is the 2" x 10" I was forging in the steam hammer thread. A sculpture built from this model would be 9' tall and would also move, perhaps on a babbitt bearing. After Aileron I have been searching for a better scale to build my work, I think just over human scale will bring more intimacy and would better allow opportunity to explore surface deformation with the tools I have. Ouroboros was inspired by this model I had made of a figure, which seems to be in an embrace and a departure. This ambiguity of the direction of its flight really intrigues me, is Ouroboros looping in or looping out?

post-2769-0-02544800-1376846714_thumb.jp

I like those rivets, well I actually like the whole thing. Now don't take this wrong but somehow it reminds me of a hood ornament from the fifties. There were some really graceful ones from that period and some not so graceful. After a little more thought it maybe one from the thirties, when they made really expensive cars like the Rolls Royce and others had high class radiator caps with the work done by some of the world class sculptors of the time. That is a well done piece, very well done.

I appreciate all the comments, I think you nailed it Jerry. I have been ornamenting most of my career, sculpture is no different. I am trying to bring a bit of worth to public sculpture which I think has been lost in many pieces today. In the end I am trying to inspire and be inspired...

Thanks again,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...