I Forge Iron

What I saw today

post-74-0-04720100-1375111912_thumb.jpg

Perhaps not as exciting as our friend's Alaskan mountain, but I'm happy with New Mexico. This is a view from my backyard looking south where the bluish horizon is the Sandia mountain range, just east of Albuquerque, 75 miles away. Albuquerque is a little higher than Denver, the latter claiming to be the "mile high city." The Sandia crest is over 9,000 feet.

The intercontinental cordillera is said to run from Alaska to the Tierra del Fuego, and New Mexico is part of it. Near Santa Fe, we find the tag end of the Rocky Mountain Range.

One time I saw a book for sale at the thrift store titled, "Camping in the Rocky Mountains," and the author left out New Mexico! Har de har.

Sayings and Cornpone

"There's plenty of room at the top; it's the middle that's crowded."

Very beautiful view Frank.  I love that part of the country.  Maybe some day I can visit and take a class.  I would love to do that.

Beth, those are wonderful pictures.  I particularly like the one of the sheep in the meadow.  Very restful.

I believe we need to see breath taking views of nature to help rest the soul and inspire the mind.  I can't help but feel at peace when I see such beautiful scenes.

bryan you are so right - we need it more than ever with the nonsense of our modern lives. nature does bring peace, even when it seems a bit raw. lovely idea for a thread i like seeing what everyone sees out of their windows :)

Frank, Get it right, Santa Fe is NOT the tag end of the Rocky Mountains, it is the PROUD beginning of the Rocky Mountains. I remember that from my fourth grade teacher Mrs. Pipes at Salazar Elementary School. We had this geologist come in and talk about the mountains and he used that phrase "tag end" and Mrs. Pipes corrected him and he said "Yes, ma'am" and went on with his talk.
I get very claustrophobic when I get back East with all them trees and no mountains and no sight lines to nothing. When I visit my cousins and all you can see is corn all I want to do is head back to the West. It's a wonder they can live like that, a day without a mountain is like a day without sunshine.

Bryan: Are you saying you were Palmer close and didn't even call?!? Seriously you drove by 2 miles away and didn't give a shout! <sigh>

I've never been anywhere that didn't have sights to take the breath, except inside a city maybe.

Bruno: If you want to snowboard the mountain in Bryan's pic, you'll need oxygen, no problem getting a lift to the top though, for a few grand. That's the highest peak in the American hemisphere, 20,320' Mt. McKinley or Mt. Denali, take your pick. It's about 160 air miles NNW of my place and you can see it from here when the leaves are off the trees. You ought to fly up for the Iron Man, some of the wildest ski and snowboard racing on earth. Steep mountainside course, slippery things strapped to your feet and hold onto a rope tied to a 100+mph snowmachine. WooHoo!

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty I'm so sorry.  I was so busy helping Renee with the dog show it didn't cross my mind.  (insert chastised look here).  On another note, we weren't killed by the insane drivers in Wasilla.  So that was good.  We did have a good time, and were exhausted after the long drive back.  I'm planning on a trip down by myself.  When exactly I don't know.  Again I'm very sorry I didn't call. 

Frosty I'm so sorry.  I was so busy helping Renee with the dog show it didn't cross my mind.  (insert chastised look here).  On another note, we weren't killed by the insane drivers in Wasilla.  So that was good.  We did have a good time, and were exhausted after the long drive back.  I'm planning on a trip down by myself.  When exactly I don't know.  Again I'm very sorry I didn't call. 

Awe, I'm just giving some crap, I recall you saying you were coming down for a show and no extra time. I forgot completely till you mentioned it now. Deb and I would've made it out to see how you did if I didn't have such a sprung trap memory. <sigh>

There's nothing like a sunny weekend to get the crazies out and swarming on the roads. Even with the local PD and AST out in force the roads can get stupid crazy. Deb wasn't sure about buying a full size (Old fart full size = 8' box) pickup but she's fallen in love with it. Long wheel base, wider, heavier, higher off the ground and surrounded by steel makes it less scary for her. It's HER truck but she lets me use it sometimes if I don't do something awful like scratch the bed. <sigh>

Too bad you two didn't have time for a visit but that's okay, I understand busy. It's hay season right now and we've been hauling and stacking with help from a couple friends, then helping them haul and stack. this old and fat thing sucks, we used to pick hay off the fields with the truck and trailer, 70+ bales on the trailer and 35+ on the truck. Deb drove and a couple guys and I picked and stacked. Now we're down to multiple trips with the truck. Oh well, old and fat beats the alternative.

All the best to you and Rene. We'll see you next time.

Frosty The Lucky.