I Forge Iron

Kolhswa Anvil Question

Hey Guys,

I was offered a 150 lb. Kolhswa for $450.  it is in a pretty good shape, edges could use a little radiusing but it's nice and flat.

Is it worth getting it? are Kolhswa overall good anvils?

thanks!

That's a good quality of anvil, but the price is a bit steep in my opinion.  Of course, a lot depends on what the anvil market is like in your area.  You can do 90% of all blacksmithing without a london-pattern anvil.  A large piece of scrap steel, with hardies held in a vise, would do you just as well.

Of course, I say that and still buy every decent anvil that I come across!  If the price is good for you, and the market is a bit thin on quality anvils, I'd go for it.  The worst you can say is that you got a great anvil, in a great size, for a fair price.  Not a price to brag on, but it is fair as long as the anvil isn't beat up too badly.

Good Morning,

a Kohlswa is an excellent anvil. Kohlswa anvils normally have quite a high pitch ring, if you silicone it to your base that will help a lot. Normally anvil faces are not very hard but they work harden with time. I would not hesitate!!

Being a neighbour, check out Vancouver Island Blacksmith Association, www.viblacksmiths.com  and NorthWest Blacksmith Association www.blacksmith.org   VIBA is having a meeting this Sunday, at Luxton Fairgrounds.  NWBA have monthly sessions at Longview, Wash. as well as a Spring and Fall Conference. August 22-24 is Western States Blacksmith Conference at Mt. Hood, Oregon. Accomodation and a lot of the venues will be at Government Camp, on Mt. Hood.

Neil Gustafson

I have a 95lbs Kohlswa anvil that I picked up for 300. I love it. It is my first one so of course I love it. It rings like crazy just sitting on its stump. I chained it down and slapped a magnet on the heel and it quieted it down tremendously. 

post-24975-0-96848400-1372440430_thumb.j

Thank you so much for the answers!!

If you guys don't mind, I have another couple doubts:

1) I heard the  Kohlswa have a very loud ring for being cast steel... Is it possible to make it significantly quieter? It could be a possible issue with neighbors.

2) here are the picture of the anvil... should I do something with it if I decide to buy  it? like radius the edges or grind it a little bit?

Thanks!!

d4bn0mk.jpg
v41dJxK.jpg

Yes you can make ANY anvil substantially quieter and there have been long threads on the subject here. (the way it's mounted to the stump is one of the LOUDEST ways)

150# is a good shop size, the face looks to be pretty good.  The edges are rough---especially for $3 a pound in my opinion, will they haggle?

I assume you already bought this?  The owner had this marked sold a few weeks ago?  He had it originally listed as 180lbs for $400.   Glad to hear this got a good home.  The edges are pretty rough but lots of flat face left.

I might be able to haggle $20 off, I doubt they'd go lower, but I'd have to drive 4~6 hours and/or take a $60 ferry to go to vancouver island to maybe get a better deal... the market around Vancouver is really bad :(

I haven't bought yet, I'm gonna get it this afternoon (in about 7~8 hours)... I've never seen an ad on that, it's a friend's friend that offered me, so I don't know if he had it listed before (the anvil is 153 lbs).  should I grind the edges a little bit if I get it? it looks like they haven't been radioused.

I'll probably have to go after a anvil stand after I get it... I searched for ways to make it quieter here, it seems the best ideas are:

- make a silicone bed on the stand, let it harden slightly, then place your anvil and let it cure

- put a chain around the waist

- put a big magnet under the heel (still looking where can I get one... I don't have an old big speaker)

- put a U Bolt on the pritchel hole

anything else? I think I might try to do all the above

and again, thank you guys so much... I'm very new to this and really appreciate all the help

If it were my anvil I would radius the edges some, but depending on how you work some people really like some nice sharp edges. You might want to do a little rounding and then consider whether you want more. I think as a new smith you would do well to go a little at a time, when you take it off what you can put back is not original. I mean it is not a sacred object, so you can modify it, but be carefull as this is a lifetime type tool. I have modified some anvils, some of those modifications I would undo if I could, others I think it was a really good choise.

• 1 month later...

i heard that the kolswa's that centaur forge sold for awhile where a lil soft... but as a rule, most ive seen where very very hard (including the 75lber i owned for awhile)....most that ive seen have had badly chipped edges due to that hardness..... radius the edges on yours and youll have a work horse!!!

Congrats on the purchase.  If you're happy with that price, then you got a good deal no matter what someone else says.  

To silence the anvil, set it in a bed of silicone caulk.  All you have to do is lift it off of the stump, lay down half a tube of caulk between it and the stump, and then drop the the anvil back in place.  That will kill 90% of the ring, and the rest can be killed by placing a magnet on the heel and horn.

I wouldn't radius the edges or sand the face until you've spent a goodly number of hours forging on the anvil.  Find out where you're having issues before removing metal.  Those edges don't look that bad, but you don't have any experience to tell you what you need.

I have a 200lb sodofors which is very similar if I remember right. Yes it is a little louder but some silicon and a nice chain wrapped around it will significantly lower the sound. They are great anvils. Careful of the edges as has been mentioned.