I Forge Iron

It's mine :D

Sam Salvati

Yes, it's mine. It is absolute perfection, forged, clay coat water quench, temper. The hamon (edge heat treat line) is beautiful, alot of interesting activity, some look like snow capped mountains, others like waves, some like sand dunes. It has utsuri, secondary hamon, thoguh I will wait to see it in full polish to see wether it is all over or only on some spots. This blade means alot to me, my very first forged traditional Japanese long blade, and it's all mine, a family heirloom for sure. A big thanks to My teacher John. It's the top one in the first picture, then the lower one in the second picture. I also made the other one, but both were ground by John. Enjoy, I did not mean to sound braggish, just excited.

2870.attach

2871.attach

Thanks everyone! I am REALLY excited, like, still floating on air hehe. Thomas, the steel is 1075. I will definately be posting pictures of when it get's polished, and is all done. Gonna take a bit to get up the $700 plus for the polish, but i am in no rush. This will definately be an heirloom sword, passed down for generations, I could not be happier, as I made it too(with John's help:)).

Thanks guys:D. Jason, forging that blade was great, it is BIG, swinging it around my shop was hilarious! Andy, it takes more than days to learn to properly polish a japanese style blade, anyone can polish but they are polished differently than any other blade. Thanks Jaka!

Well Sam - If I was the one to spend the time hammering out a sword type blade - I'd dang sure be the one to grind and polish it. I wouldn't want to do that work and have someone else finish it. Just doesn't make sence to me - ok so they get ground differently....... take a little extra time to do it.... take all the time you need - an heirloom is only going to be worth it to the family if it was made 100% by you. Just my thoughts - you can do it Sam - take your time. That will make you that much more proud if it when your done - JK

Hehe I totally understand your sentiments Jeremy! But I know when to step out to someone who is better than I am or knows more than I do. Like I said, a traditional Japanese polish takes YEARS of training to even learn how to do, let alone do well, while I would LOVE to learn the process, and will someday. But, to have a blade I personally forged, ground and worked on by suchworld famous craftsmen? That is an honor unto itself. And trust me, it won't be the last sword I make, and not all will be collaborations;). Think of it more like this, in ancient times when people commissioned a sword, it would COMPLETELY made by others, each a master in they're own respective feilds of blade smithing and heat treating, fitting the guard, handle, pommel, making the scabbard, and yet would still be cherished by the owner and in the owner's family for generations. I have an even better situation, seeing as how I was involved in the process of making the blade, if not more as it get's along in the process, as well as what the finished product will look like. But like i said, it will not be the last sword I ever make, nor the last one I make to keep for myself:D, so in a way it is more special having been a collaboration between me, my most awesome master, and some other personally chosen talented craftsmen!