I Forge Iron

T metal pipe

mandoro

Ok, well Im trying out the Brake Drum forge (dunno if I found the blueprints here or somewhere else) and I found my brake drum today after I went to the junkyard. Now I didn't exactly think through how I was going to get a T. Most people would say that you just cut a hole in onw pipe and weld another pipe on. The problem with that is I don't have a plasma torch (or a welder for that fact, due to family issues). In fact, I practically just lost all my tools in the matter af 2 days (my anvil and the tools), due to the same issues.

Even though I now have a setback, im not going to let it stop me. Yall are imaginative people and Im still working on that, so for the time being I will just have to use yalls imaginations! =P

What I have thought of is to have someone make one for me (like a iron working business or something), I just don't know if they would do something that small. I looked through the junkyard I went to today and I found plenty of pipes that could be cut into T's, but none were 3in (I dunno how I did that, found a junkyard with no 3in pipes).

I also need to figure out where to get flanges for the 3in metal pipes to have it hold onto what im doing (since I no long have a welder).

cool, Ill look into that chef. I dont know much about this town yet (Ive been here a year to go to college).

YYF, I went to Lowes and they didn't have anything about 1" in anything that I could use. Unless you are talking about some other kinds of shops?

Edit: Oh I see YYF. I gues Lowes doesn't count as a hardware store. Ill make sure not to make that mistake again.

Here's another idea. Think square tube instead of round tubing. My welded firepot is plumbed to the blower with square tubing salvaged from an old basketball hoop stand. To make a tee fitting without welding can be done. You need to have a hand drill. Just drill a series of holes in side of upright tube, in shape of a square hole. then break out the center of the hole. Drill some holes to bolt the horizonal piece to vertical piece. Add a couple of straps bolted to side of both pieces to hold everything in place. Check blueprint section under coal forges also. Lots good info on building inexpensive coal forges. I like the 55 gallon barrel forge

mandoro
Go to Lessons in Blacksmithing on the home page of IForgeIron.com and look for LB0003 Blacksmithing Forges. There is a list of forges there.

Blueprint BP0238 Side Blast Forge requires no welding and only a saw to make. My suggestion is to make this forge then you can use it to make other items.

Blueprint BP0133 The 55 Forge has detailed instruction of making a inexpensive "T" by welding. As Nomad said, you can cut a "V" in the down pipe as an air inlet and cut a "V" on the end of the other pipe to overlap the two, then hold it together with screws. Put clay on any gaps. Another suggestion is to put a strap around the vertical pipe and use screws to hold it together.

If you used a brake drum you could (with a little time and expense) find a 2" opening in the right drum, use a floor flange, close nipple, tee, and pipe vertically and a pipe horz and it will all screw together. You will still need a bolt or something as a grate.

Having a lack of some tools just makes using the tool between your ears necessary to see what is available and how it can be used to your benefit.

Large pipe fittings are available from plumbing supply stores; but are pricey. I have generally found all the fittings needed at the scrapyard for scrap price. Note if may requuire a large wrench and cheater to free them up or I have a section of metal cutting bandsaw blade mounted in a bow saw frame (drill the holes inboard a bit as you want higher tension than for cutting wood) and cut the pieces free to be loosened up at home.

When I made the t for my forge I cut the hole in the pipe with a 4" grinder. after cutting just clean with pecil grinder or attachment to drill. Then weld other pipe on.Yesteryearforges sollution would be easier though. I just used what i had available. If you can find a t-peice and threaded pipe it will be very easy.
Have fun building that forge!
Bb

Really quick and dirty T piece? Try finding some box section or round section of a suitable size that is ALREADY welded up in a T piece. Chances are it won't be open through the inside, but thats easy to fix. Cut into it from the back, (drill, saw, chew, whatever it takes) and remove the plug of metal. Put it to one side because you'll need it later. Now you can get to it, cut out the inside wall (hence opening up your airway). Grab the first plug you cut out and seal up the back again. Gaffer tape will do that job (I did say really quick and dirty right? :D) Hey presto, you just need to sort out the ash dump (easy, don't need to weld anything to do that) and flare the pipe that sits in your brake drum in situ.

All awesome ideas. I tried to go to a couple hardware stores today and they closed earlier than I expected. Oh well, there is tomorrow.

I actually read the bp about the side blast forge. It is a very neat idea and the only reason I stay away from them is the fact that i don't want to deal with coal. I've heard its nasty stuff, plus I don't know of anywhere to get it here in waco. Even though I am in Texas lol.

I was going to go charcoal because I was planning on making my own and since we've cut down a lot of trees here recently I have plenty of wood to use. Not only that, back in college station they are building subdivisions all over the place and there is a bunch of scrap wood im sure I can ask for.

Nothing wrong with coal or a whole bunch of blacksmiths would be out of business, or at least until they could get an alternative fuel.

This is listed for coal on the internet and is in Waco. May want to call them to see what they have or ask for a reference for a coal resource.

Bellmead Pools & Supply
4412 Bellmead Dr
Waco, TX 76705
(254) 799-6839

McLennan Community College has (or had) a coal fired power plant and may be able to give a reference to a coal source.

A side blast forge should be able to use charcoal as a fuel.

Another solution for the tee fitting, would be one of the old cast iron pipe tee fitting. If you know any plumbers they usually throw away all the old cast iron stuff when remodeling systems and replace it with PVC stuff.

Blackbeard's suggestion is looking mighty nice right now. I dont hve a 4in grinder, but I have one of those delta grinding wheels with a wirebrush on the other side, im sure that could get it done.

I don't know any plumbers, wish I did though. I just called a place and they had the piece! It was $27 though. I guess I shoulda listened to Thomas.

Ok, so I could call them for a coal supply. I like the idea of the duct, the only problem is how to cut into the metal pipe. He had that ready, im not so lucky. I guess its time to go back to the junkyard sometime soon. Plus I have a squirrel cage fan and some of that dryer hose stuff. I just need the metal piping lol. If the dryer hose stuff doesnt work, my mom prolly has some canvas lying around. Ill tear some off its painting frame and could use that.

Would the Side blast forge get to welding heat? He didn't say if it did or not in the bp. This option is looking better as well

Hi Mandoro. I just built a side blast forge that was roughly based on the plans from the blueprints. A few things are different. For example, the holes in the tuyere brick were too small. When I tried jamming a pipe in, the brick fell apart. I used a point chisel to try to fix it, but the brick cracked even more. I have successfully used the point on stone and ceramic, but that brick was different. So, I glued all the pieces together with a mixture of kitty litter, fireclay and fencepost concrete. It worked great.

Don't worry about using charcoal. It works. Use the real wood charcoal (lump charcoal). I bought a 20 lb. bag for $10 and it only had one briquette in it. All the rest was good. I threw the briquette in my grill. This forge will weld. At least I think it can. I did not try it, but you get the feeling after a while. I did burn the widow's eye on the end of a hook, so that's probably hot enough.

One problem, though. Before the job was done, the blower motor started sputtering. Hoping it was the switch or a bad wire, I disassembled it only to discover a short brush. Does anyone know where to get replacement brushes locally? I tried searching on the Internet, and couldn't find a fit. I suppose that one could fiddle with some clay or epoxy to get the dimensions close.