I Forge Iron

Hand crank drill press speed?

I HAVE THIS OLD DRILL PRESS WHICH HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO V-BELT POWERED, I JUST MOUNTED IT ON THE WALL WITH THE MOTOR, I COULD LOWER THE SPEED ,BUT DO I NEED TO. EVERY TIME I START IT UP I PUT OIL ON THE GEARS AND IN THE BUSHING HOLES, IT SPINS FAST ABOUT TWICE AS FAST AS THE HAND CRANK WOULD HAD SPUN IT.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK, SHOULD I TAKE IT OFF THE WALL AND ADJUST THE SPEED OR IS IT FINE JUST THE WAY IT IS,WILL THIS HARM THE GEARS, OR IS THIS FINE? THE REASON IM ASKING THIS IS BECAUSE ITS ALLOT OF WORK TO TAKE IT OFF THE WALL AND RE-BOLT IT, WHY DO THE WORK IF NOT NEEDED.

THANKS

DAYNE

post-39175-0-09556400-1364957539_thumb.j

Greetings newbie,

If you have the original crank and auto feed lever I would consider going back to a  manual operation...   I have several and they work great just as they are..

And the best part they are cordless with no battery required...

Crank on

Jim

Thank you!

I got this at an auction for I think $3.50 ,couldn't turn that down, but ya that's the sad part is ,there is no crank and auto feed lever with it or else I would love to convert it back.I have one with the crank and it works great!

thanks

dayne

Greetings newbie,

If you have the original crank and auto feed lever I would consider going back to a  manual operation...   I have several and they work great just as they are..

And the best part they are cordless with no battery required...

Crank on

Jim

These parts can be made in a forge with no special tools.  All it takes is time and a willingness to keep tiring till you get it right.

"A willingness to keep TIRING till you get it right".    

I'm going to route that in a board and hang it in the smithy.

this is one of those questions that's hard to answer without being there. If its spinning twice as fast as it would if it were cranked by hand then that's probaqbly too fast and will result in shortened life. It also depends on how you use it. Little drill bits like high speed, big one's don't. For the amount you have invested in this it may not matter to you if you wear it out and toss it. If it does matter then you might want to take the time and energy to slow it down. Returning it to a hand crank condition it might last a lifetime. Just keep in mind those bearings were probably never designed to spin fast. Again, hard to say without actually seeing it in operation.

I have an old hand crank that came with a flat belt pulley on the flywheel side so it was meant to be used with either the crank or a flat belt. Having said that feeds and speeds are based on what you are drilling and the size of the bit. I would like to get mine running on a motor for the flat belt eventually and will be trying to get it to run about 100 to 150 rpm as I would want it to be able to use large bits on steel. I think if I keep it lubed up it should run for a long time if I keep the speed down in that range.

And  of course my cautionary tale:  I met a knifemaker at a guildshow once who told me that he wanted to save money by converting an old hand crank drillpress to run by an electric motor.  While drilling a finnicky hole once he was watching the bit and reached up to advance it and managed to stick his fingers in the gears.

Several years later they still were not working right and he had spent tens of thousands of dollars on hospital bills---not to mention months of downtime as he was healing.  He told me that he could probably have bought the fanciest drill press on the plant and still saved money on the deal!

Welcome aboard Dayne, glad to have you.

I have a couple hand crank drills and both were intended to use either the crank or an electric motor, both have V belt groves in the flywheel. My larger one has high and low gear and a gear shift lever. The smaller one just goes as fast as you crank it.

If your press doesn't have hi/lo ranges and it's still turning too fast there are a couple things maybe causing it. #1 It may be set up for an old style lower RPM motor. OR you may just have too large a drive belt on the motor.

A jack shaft will cure the first and if changing out the drive pully doesn't do it for the second, a jack shaft will do it.

Of course, if you have enough money you can always buy an old timey 540RPM(?) or 800RPM or . . .? They're still out there and a good electric motor shop will build you one for a little scratch.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I just put a smaller pulley on the motor and it works great, I could buy a new drill press, I don't really care about how much it costs, but I fine it cool to use something my great uncles use back in their hay day!, I think I might try to make a guard for it tho.

Daynee

thanks