I Forge Iron

I have a project idea. I want to make my daughter an earring tree, but make it a tulip instead. The idea is the have little holes punched/drilled thru the edges of the leaves for her earings to attach thru and the tulip flower to be a small bowl for loose items. The base would be a shallow bowl shape also, with three tabs scrolled under for feet.

My question is this...

Should I make the flower out of copper sheet or steel?

I figure if I use steel I'll brush the hot flower piece with a brass brush before forming it into shape.

Any suggestions, comments or opinions will be read and taken into consideration.

I have made roses out of both copper and steel. People seem to like the copper roses better. The copper seems to make the rose bloom pop.

Currently I have been working on developing an Iris. I have made the prototypes out of steel and am now making one out of copper and I really like the contrast of the copper.

After saying this The brass brushed finish would look nice to. Try it with the brass brushed finish and see if you are happy with the result.

The brass finish will not stand up to much forming after it is applied. Usually it is done last, then clear-coated immediately.

Copper can be polished and then clear-coated, or hot dipped in a borax solution for a pink finish after the polish step. Copper sulfate will give a green tinge to copper leaves and stems. 

@kingsjohn: thanks for the info. not a bad idea about trying the brass brushed first.

@ John McPherson:I was only intending to do the folding up after the brushing, the main part of shaping and texturing would be done before brushing with the hope that it would stand up enough. And had postulated that I could rebrush the accessible parts after position and shape adjustments.

As far as the copper treatments, I wouldn't want to alter the copper color chemically, let time and mama nature handle that.

The stem and leaves I am pretty well set on making out of steel. The only part I am contemplating using copper for is the flower's petals.

personally i love the colors you can develop on copper, and even just bright copper itself.  My few pennies would go towards making the flower from copper, which would give it a more natural color than steel or even brassed steel.  My second penny would go towards the relative hardness of the petal vs the earrings.  (i originally read your plan as having the earrings hanging from petals, this might make less sense in the correct context...) steel will scratch sterling fairly readily, while copper is much gentler.  you could also have the flower itself be on a bearing so it could be rotated (but again, if nothing is hung from the flower itself, nothing gained)

that sounds like a lovely project! i hope it turns out well and you spoil us with photos :)

Good luck!

I'm not very knowlegable about Earrings, ... but doesn't copper, brass, or aluminum pose an electrolisis problem, when in contact with other non-ferrous metals ?

What about using .030 thick, Stainless shim stock ?

A judicious touch with a propane torch, will create a nice range of "blue" coloration in that material.

• 4 weeks later...

I would use a combination of copper, brass and steel. You can treat the metals anyway you feel like. Heating the copper and brass with a torch can give it a nice effect. Look on you tube on copper flowers and leaves and see what other people are making. Lot of good ideas!

• 2 weeks later...

kind of an aside, if the plan is to just leave the copper unfinished and let nature have at it, you are probably going to end up with a mottled brown tarnish that will propagate fingerprints and smudges, but can be fairly easily brightened up (to some extent) with a vigorous rubbing from sweaty fingers.  works on brass too (probably alloy dependent though).  dont expect the statue of liberty green patina from an indoor environment :)

while im at it i should add WRT my earlier post that the colors i was referring to are heat patination from localized torchwork on copper, you can get some pretty sweet colors from that, however expect them to loose some vibrancy if you put a clearcoat on, or to fade/change if left uncoated.  uncoated heat patinas will also take a beating from fingerprints and touching over time.

@smoothbore:

so long as the thing is kept from developing standing water on the surface (condensation, wet hands fresh from the shower, etc) there will be no electrolyte, so there shouldnt be any potential for electrolysis.

If you make it from copper you can torch enamel it darned near any color(s) you like.  It won't corrode and be beautiful for centuries or longer. enameling copper is also fun fun FUN. Oh yeah, if you want the copper color, polish it and use clear enamel. the low temp enamels will melt before heat colors develop.

It's really lots of fun enameling, a good activity for a group of friends to sit around a warm garage on a dismal day, swap BS, play with torches and make pretty bobbles for the ladies.

Frosty the Lucky