I Forge Iron

uses for cast iron

Hi,  I have this big (over 300lbs) of what I think is cast iron.  It is 6x6x30.  Any suggestions on what I can use it for?  (Other than aso [anchor shaped object])

Thanks,  Larry

If it's not something that you're worried about breaking and it it has a useful shape, I'd use it as an anvil.  So long you don't beat on thin edges/protrusions and you're working hot metal over it the thing should last a long time.  I have and appreciate my Peter Wright "real" anvil, but have a swage block (cast iron), ASO, and other random chunks of metal I use as needed to complete the task at hand.

In order to use the spark test to differentiate between simple carbon steel and cast iron, see ChuckE2009 on Youtube.  This channel is pretty well known for down home welding advice.  Once you see him do the spark test, you will realize that you have to be almost blind to not see the difference.

Cast iron,,as seen in some of the cheap anvils sold in he USA are not worth putting in a shop for use as an anvil. There simply is no rebound when struck and that is a critical difference in how an anvil works.

Just adding this in here as the advice above on spark testing is wot you need to know where to go with this chunk of ?

Is that number 42 cast into the metal or painted on using a stencil? If it is cast in then almost certainly it is cast iron. I can’t imagine that a chunk like that would have needed to be cast steel. I have a handful of large chunks of metal kicking around none of which I had a clear use for when I came upon them but uses become evident with time. At its most basic you have a great surface for straightening/flattening long piece of stock and an upsetting block if you leave it lying on the floor. I could see making several round shank hardies to put in one hole and a ‘V’ shaped hardie to put in the other which would support the stock and keep it from shifting. Nice find!