I Forge Iron

IFGS Sculptures 2007

• 4 weeks later...
I like it and I get it. :)

Pam

I am with Pam. I think part of the beauty is that it was IMMENSE amopunts of power used to make them, they are LARGE diameter peices, done hot, that's pretty cool. To show the form and force involved in workin gmetal, and just how shapely it gets.

Some "art" is questionable to me. An artist with name recognition could sell a clinker from a fire and make good money from it. Some would see this as a ludicrous example or art while there will always be other who "get it" and appreciated it. I must be of simple mind or simply not refined for I hardly ever "get it" ;)

Very right, Simmon. "Art" is one of the most relative words that man has ever created, next to happiness and freedom (etc.). If one person considers something art, then it is art. I'm not sure of anything ever created that one could not make a good argument about its validity as art, except maybe politics (just kidding, you could make that argument as well, but why would you want to?).

One of my 'rules' for art - besides whether I like it or not is the note at the side of the picture/sculpture.
If it is a post card sized lable with the artists name on it and the title of the piece and you can read the title then look at the work and say yes that is what the artist is trying to show, then to me that is art.
On the other hand if at side of the work is several A4 sized sheets of 'Bull' then that to me is not art, just the artist trying to justify a load of rubbish - a pictoral image of a politicians speach !!!!!!!

Wayne,

I agree. I think a title that causes you to say "Oh yeah." means the artist understands what he made, and is more than just something put together with no thought.

Art to me is something that evokes an emotion. I took my 14 year old nieces to one of the local art and craft galleries. One didn't want to "waste her time away from friends" and the other thought "art wasn't something she could ever do". As they walked into the gallery however, you could see their eyes light up and an entirely new world open up for them! It was also eye opening for me, the things that most interested them, and the reasons they liked specific things verses other things. Thankfully we went in hour before close, otherwise we might still be there. :)

Art can be playing with all of your scraps and welding them together, if you do it in such a way that at the end evokes an emotion and meaning from you....
besides "what a pile of junk". ;)

Pam

The beauty of art is that it is all in the eye of the beholder. Good artists can convey the emotion. Unfortunately, like any "high class society" thing, art has become a thing of big names and marketing. Lots of the best art is in universities and the likes because there are some people that don't have a name but are trying.