I Forge Iron

Hardie or hardy

57 members have voted

1. 1. Is the square hole in an anvil spelled hardie or hardy.

• Hardie
    • hardy
    • The square hole in an anvil

My vote is for hardie I post as evidence a Hay-Budden catalog from 1914/15.  http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/18789-hay-budden-anvil-catalogue-from-191415/?hl=%2Bbudden+%2Bcatalogue  Where they repeatedly use the word spelled as hardie.  In my defense I have been home sick for the past couple of days and have nothing better to do.

Both are correct according to Merriam-Webster

har·die noun ˈhärdē
plhardies
Definition of HARDIE
: a blacksmith's fuller or chisel having a square shank for insertion into a hole in the anvil
Variants of HARDIE
har·die or har·dyˈhärdē

Both are correct according to Merriam-Webster

har·die noun ˈhärdē
plhardies

Definition of HARDIE
: a blacksmith's fuller or chisel having a square shank for insertion into a hole in the anvil
Variants of HARDIE
har·die or har·dyˈhärdē

Get's my vote....

Dale

Sorry Steve WW2 started in 1939 when Germany invaded Poland.  If your reference was from 1938 I could be convinced.  :P

So you really think the War Dept could could write, illustrate, edit, and publish a 21 chapter manual all in one year?  :(

You never spent time in the military did ya?

I skimmed Moxon yesterday, published in 1703 and did not mention a hardie or hardy or show on in the engraving of the shop.

He did mention taking care not to cut the steel on the edge of the anvil when making shoulders...

I'll check with the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language as it lists first recorded usage in it.

I have always known the round hole as a 'pritchel' hole never heard of spud before...

The Practical Metalworker edited by Bernard E Jones originally published in 1900 refers to the Anvil Set or Hardy and illustrates a cold set in the hardy hole.

In the The Blacksmith's Craft the book published by the Rural Industries Bureau /Council for Small Industries in Rural Areas in 1952 the illustration of an anvil describes it as a 'Tool Hole'.

In the text it describes the two holes in the anvil... "the square or hardy hole and the round or punching hole. It is a good plan to chamfer the edges of the square hole so that the hardy sits tight to the anvil face; this is also a convenience when using the hole for setting slightly curved bars."

In the tools section a few pages on it has:-

"HARDIES

Hardies are chisels which fit into the square hole in the anvil, the work being driven down onto them. Some smiths make one fairly stout hardie and use it for both hot and cold work, but it is better practice to have two separate ones suitably shaped and tempered for each purpose."

So they used all the variations within a few pages...and not just 'y' for singular and 'ies' for the plural...

Well Google spell check wants you to spell it hardy they put a red line under it if you spell it hardie. 

Well, when the on again off again spell checker works here ''blacksmithing'' always gets the red line..... :rolleyes: .......I'm gonna write in a vote for Neil's ''Spud Hole''  Yawn......... :mellow: