I Forge Iron

Hydraulic Press and Rolling Mill

That is NICE! I have thought about doing something like that, but dont know much about hydraulics. I have a parker v-pak hydraulic pump and a 50 ton press. Doesnt seem like it would be that hard to get them to working together, but like I said I dont know much about hydraulics. The roller is really impressive. Here is a pic of the pump I have. Do you think it would work for what you have done?

post-21702-0-50436100-1362675420_thumb.j

post-21702-0-75386000-1362675449_thumb.j

post-21702-0-71918300-1362675563_thumb.j

Horsepower is in a relationship with PSI and GPM together.

With little HP you can still generate high PSI but at a slow GPM, increase the gpm as the PSI remains constant and HP increases.

That also means Higher GPM can be had with reduced PSI, while HP remains constant.

Carry on

How about posting a few pics of the thickness control of the rolling mill.

And approx how much delivered torque is required for the rolling mill?

How many inches per minute is the rolling rate too please?

Carry on

Dave here are the specs on the design of the rolling mill.

Sorry I don't have any pictures that really show the detail of the thickness control.

HERE ARE THE SPECS

Hydraulic motor selected is a 104-1028 Char Lynn

@1500 psi it puts out about 1500 in-lbs torque

@ 5GPM that motor turns about 39 RPM, this information is from their specifications

The pump delivers 5 GPM

5 GPM @ 1500 psi = 5 x 1500 /1714/.85 = 5.12 HP

My electric motor on the power unit is a 5 HP

The roll diameter is 3 inches, therefore the circumference is 3.14x 3 = 9.42 inches / revolution

@39 RPM the roll velocity would be 39 x 9.42 /60 = 6.123 inches per second

The drive reduction on the sprockets is 38 teeth/15 teeth = 2.53:1

so the mill velocity is 6.123/ 2.53 = 2.42 inches/ second

The force the roll moves the steel through the mill is:

Motor torque x the reduction divided by the roll radius

= 5000 x 2.53 / 1.5 = 8433 pounds

That is great info for all of us....

Now...how many thousanths (0.001) of an inch do you press down in a single pass....in general terms.

Many of us need some  "general" how-to operational instructions. I have been looking into the idea of making one of these myself with some of the things I have laying around. With my machine shop equiptment this could be a doable project.

Thank you for posting all you have..but I do desire more.

Carry on

I usually press down about 3/32 at a time but I am sure it could do more. It is hard to get is jammmed into the rolls it you try to take to much at one time.

That is great info for all of us....

Now...how many thousanths (0.001) of an inch do you press down in a single pass....in general terms.

Many of us need some  "general" how-to operational instructions. I have been looking into the idea of making one of these myself with some of the things I have laying around. With my machine shop equiptment this could be a doable project.

Thank you for posting all you have..but I do desire more.

Carry on

You have to remember that a rolling mill distorts the steel because of the nature of the machine. The rolls tend to extrude the steel as it passes between the rolls because the contact point that presses down on the steel is not parallel to the center line of the rolls where as a press or trip hammer  stretches the material because the downward force is a 90 degrees to the material.

Kind of hard to explain without a picture for explanation.

So if you want to make perfect patterened damascus a rolling mill is not the machine to do it with.

However with that being said if you want to rollout 52100 from bearings or make random damascus there is no faster way of doing it.

Ifyou want to  make sure the final pass on a piece of damascus is a consistant thickness just take a 1/32 pass, it comes out real smooth and requires very little grinding to clean up the billet.

Dave here are the specs on the design of the rolling mill.

Sorry I don't have any pictures that really show the detail of the thickness control.

HERE ARE THE SPECS

Hydraulic motor selected is a 104-1028 Char Lynn

@1500 psi it puts out about 5000 in-lbs torque ( should hve read 5000 not 1500)

@ 5GPM that motor turns about 39 RPM, this information is from their specifications

The pump delivers 5 GPM

5 GPM @ 1500 psi = 5 x 1500 /1714/.85 = 5.12 HP

My electric motor on the power unit is a 5 HP

The roll diameter is 3 inches, therefore the circumference is 3.14x 3 = 9.42 inches / revolution

@39 RPM the roll velocity would be 39 x 9.42 /60 = 6.123 inches per second

The drive reduction on the sprockets is 38 teeth/15 teeth = 2.53:1

so the mill velocity is 6.123/ 2.53 = 2.42 inches/ second

The force the roll moves the steel through the mill is:

Motor torque x the reduction divided by the roll radius

= 5000 x 2.53 / 1.5 = 8433 pounds

Just fixed up a typo error on the motor torque.