I Forge Iron

Help!: Wife doesn't want an "inside" Anvil

I know that there is divisive mindset out there when it comes to Anvils, and whether or not historically significant anvils should be displayed or used. It's of my opinion that certain "special" one's be retired and preserved for future generations to gaze upon and enjoy. That's my sentimental perspective...

So, I've come into possession of a (what I believe to be) "special" Anvil. The 100 pound Fisher marked with an "A"; the Eagle facing to the right, clutching olive branches in one talon, arrows in the other... It may have endured the American Civil War, but it undoubtably was there for the rebuilding of the south... I'm Undoubtably a big Civil War buff, hence it being special...

photo84_zps5fe46a4a.jpg

Sans the horrible paint job, I would like to display it in the house, and eventually (when I land the big job) my office... In the mean time, I asked the wife if I could put it by the fireplace, you would have thought I bathed in rancid-garlic-funk the way she reacted... 

So, I know some of you, not all, have something of the sort hanging out in the house, whether it be on a mantle, at the foot of the fireplace, the garden, etc... How'd you manage to eloquently put your foot down? 

I have a mate(let's rephrese that "had") that keeps his Aprilia(motorbike) in a plastic cocoom/bubble in his lounge! his wife is very indulgent.

My wife on the otherhand was should we say "less than awed" by the thought. Thus I would not even venture down that path as I'm a firm believer in the saying "you can't even contemplate all the ways she can level the playing field my friend"

Don't know why you'd want to cause marital discourse over a fisher anvil. There already is a museum for Fisher anvils and so you're not really preserving anything that hasn't already preserved in a proper way already.

my 2cents

There is an old adage:
"Happy wife = Happy life"

... I wouldn't push your luck. So long as you keep the rust off it, that anvil will quite happily wait somewhere safe for you, until such time as you have that office to display it in.

Rare indeed is the spouse who appreciates (or tolerates) having tools or industrial equipment prominently displayed in the family / living spaces of their home.

Fortunately I have a ranch with a new ranch house kept to the wishes and standards of the lady and the old ranch house that my dog and I can enjoy as our own "man cave". An anvil, even a forge would be OK over there. It's a solution. Buy yourself an old ranch. Build a new house if necessary, but keep the old for man things.

Greetings,

You could forge up a nice fireplace set that sits on top of the anvil...  Tell her that this is common practice and the anvil serves a heat sink that keeps the warmth in the room for longer....  After a while just take the fireplace set off and move it to the other side...   It's hard to out fox the fox but it can be done..

( put some flowers on the set)

Good luck  Jim

dang! Sure is difficult realizing you are gonna lose this battle.

She sure is helping you out too! If you had placed it by the door and someone knocked their foot against it....well you would never hear the end of it. You are lucky in a way. Go put a band-aid on that wound and act like it was your idea.

Carry on       and out the door!

I dig the forged flowers / fire place set ideas.... 

There has to be some form of attainable compromise, as my cunning and craft won her over in the first place... Just have to regroup, rehash, and redeploy efforts where they count... This thread will end with an anvil near the fire place...  :ph34r:

I'm staring at an almost empty box of those insta-start logs by the fireplace right now... I bet come summer, I can cut out the bottom, sneak the anvil in there, and remove the box while she's at work....

It'l be next winter before she notices, then I can say she hardly noticed it, so why not keep it there???

I asked my wife what she'd think of an anvil beside the fireplace and she said that she thought it would go well with her spinning wheel and loom which are already there.  Craftspeople should get together with craftspeople.  They will understand each other's motivations.

Fortunately,

George M.

I asked my wife what she'd think of an anvil beside the fireplace and she said that she thought it would go well with her spinning wheel and loom which are already there.  Craftspeople should get together with craftspeople.  They will understand each other's motivations.

Fortunately,

George M.

That was actually my first inclination; play into her idea of design, which should jive considering she's more drawn to rustic country.... I think she's just saying no, cause she can... It really is quite a cool piece considering all the DIY network she watches...