I Forge Iron

I think making your own hammer is awsome. I don't think I would have a problem making one ,knowing what I know and have done before. but making the punch is gonna kick my tail. cannot get my head wrapped atound the shape to make one. put in a lot of handle over the years so the eye shape I know. gonna have to get aut and start beating one out to fit an old hammer I guess

I think making your own hammer is awsome. I don't think I would have a problem making one ,knowing what I know and have done before. but making the punch is gonna kick my tail. cannot get my head wrapped atound the shape to make one. put in a lot of handle over the years so the eye shape I know. gonna have to get aut and start beating one out to fit an old hammer I guess

The shape is in the drift not the punch. The v-shaped eye punch Brian and the rest of us use, is made by cutting the tip off of a piece of steel so that you get a cone point. Taper it round to a bit smaller than the width you want the punch to be at the end, then flatten. (I usually do a 3/8-round taper if I want to end up with a 1/2-inch punch.) You'll want a bit larger for making hammers.

If you have a striker, this punch needs to be made from 1-inch material and punched for a handle. Handled top tools aren't wedged in so the eye is tapered only from the bottom, not hour-glass shaped like the hammers.

If you are working alone, just do a big hand-held punch. 3/4-inch stock should work fine.

The cone tip gives you the V-shape and you pretty much just have to grind the angle bevel.

Alec, thangs for the video not only does it show the hammer blows most importantly let's us listen to Brian explain the reasoning behind each hammer blow and tool positioning.
Thanks for the video,
Eric