I Forge Iron

Colonial Anvil

Well, that's definitely a very early anvil, often called Colonial.  The lack of a pritchel hole puts it as pre-1850, iirc.

Value depends on location.  $1 per pound is great, but less than $2 a pound is good, too.  The face looks flat and the edges look decent, so I wouldn't feel too bad at offering even as much as $3 per pound if I was in need of an anvil.

As old as that anvil is, I'm surprised that it's in such good shape.  And don't let the size turn you off.  An anvil between 60 and 120 is very handy for traveling with or moving round the shop.

If I owned one I'd be so hesitant to hammer on it. Such a piece of history!

If it has lasted over 200 hundred years making history I don't see why it still shouldn't be used to forge a little more history.

It's not like it wasn't made to be forged upon!

There are several schools of thought on the use of colonial anvils. In a quality museum setting, it might be conserved (carefully cleaned but not to virgin metal) and perhaps given a coating of microcrystalline wax. It would be for exhibit only.

If in a private anvil collection, it might or might not be cleaned and it would be stored with the other anvils. If being resold by Matchless Antiques, it would be totally wire-cupped.

I sold two such early anvils, one English and one a bicorn Spanish. The English one went to a re-enactor who occasionally uses it, because it adds to authenticity. The Spanish anvil went to a New Mexico Latino man whom I believe was a collector of old tools.

So, I went to get that anvil and I just got back. I arrived at the gas station we agreed to meet at 10 minutes earlier than we agreed to meet. So I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited some more. A grand total of an hour and a half of waiting. Finally I went into the store and asked to use a phone, I called the seller and guess what he said.... he already sold it. Darn him! He could have at least told me he sold it before I drove 30 miles.

Bad luck, but a lesson learned.  Never trust in the good manners of others.  As a wise man once said...

Trust me to know and to do what is best,

And I will take care of the rest.
But trust is the color of a dark seed growing.
Trust is the color of a heart’s blood flowing.
Trust is the color of a soul’s last breath.
Trust is the color of death.

Give me your trust, said the queen on her throne,
for I must bear the burden all alone.
Trust me to lead and to judge and to rule,
and no man will think you a fool.
But trust is the sound of the grave-dog’s bark.
Trust is the sound of betrayal in the dark.
Trust is the sound of a soul’s last breath.
Trust is the sound of death.

Give me your trust, said the king on high...

Give me your trust, said the lady and lord...

Give me your trust, said the love of your life...

Trust is the taste of death.