I Forge Iron

Loneforge

If I may I'd like to comment on the staining.  I am a professional finisher with vast experience, so I do have some expertise to share.  Watco oil has some nice colors and is easy to use.  It offers poor binder content (the clear medium that glues the colors to the finished item) and also has strong dye content that tends to fade over the long term.  There are better ways!  An easy one for such things as knife handles is to use epoxy mixed with a bit of universal paint tinter.  It wouldn't take much raw umber or burnt umber to get a similar result and these pigments are remarkably persistent (they last a LONG time).  The epoxy will outwear the Watco oil finish by many years as well.  Rub it in well and it will also help to stabilize the surface of the horn, bone or wood handles and fill in any cracks.  I have used this method many times and it never fails me!  One thing to keep in mind that is rather poorly known is that epoxies produce a waxy surface as they cure (called an amine blush) and will sometimes seem sticky long after they ought to be cured.  This blush can be removed easily with a damp cloth.  This is especially important if you plan to apply another coat as the blush can interfere with intercoat adhesion. 

If I may I'd like to comment on the staining.  I am a professional finisher with vast experience, so I do have some expertise to share.  Watco oil has some nice colors and is easy to use.  It offers poor binder content (the clear medium that glues the colors to the finished item) and also has strong dye content that tends to fade over the long term.  There are better ways!  An easy one for such things as knife handles is to use epoxy mixed with a bit of universal paint tinter.  It wouldn't take much raw umber or burnt umber to get a similar result and these pigments are remarkably persistent (they last a LONG time).  The epoxy will outwear the Watco oil finish by many years as well.  Rub it in well and it will also help to stabilize the surface of the horn, bone or wood handles and fill in any cracks.  I have used this method many times and it never fails me!  One thing to keep in mind that is rather poorly known is that epoxies produce a waxy surface as they cure (called an amine blush) and will sometimes seem sticky long after they ought to be cured.  This blush can be removed easily with a damp cloth.  This is especially important if you plan to apply another coat as the blush can interfere with intercoat adhesion. 

Thank-you.....Some good info here. How do you apply this epoxy to the horn? Brush it on?? What brand or type of epoxies are you using. I plan to do more horns in the future so any more input here would be greatly appreciated.

Darren

Thank-you.....Some good info here. How do you apply this epoxy to the horn? Brush it on?? What brand or type of epoxies are you using. I plan to do more horns in the future so any more input here would be greatly appreciated.

Darren

I usually use Loctite Professional Extra Time Epoxy... but there are better epoxies available.  This is handy and I have had good results with it.  It claims to be a 60 minute epoxy but about two days is more accurate IME.  Generally the fastest epoxies have poorer performance in most categories.  Epoxies DO tend to yellow as they age... not too noticeable on dark stained work but it will show on white or very light surfaces.  Keep the coats very thin over light colored areas or wipe/polish it completely back from these highlight areas.  I usually wipe-on or rub it into the pores and cracks with my hands or paper towels.  When I want to create more of an overall protective coat I generally use "Breakthrough" clear satin acrylic and tint it as desired.  If there are no sizable cracks to fill, I often use this "Breakthrough" instead of the epoxy.  "Breakthrough" was recently acquired by PPG and is now available at Porter Paints and many other PPG distributors.