I Forge Iron

First set of tongs

Gor

I figured the first thing I made should be tongs, since I'd need them for most everything else. They're ugly, rough, and they could still use a lot of work, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

102512171424.jpg

Thanks to all of you for answering questions and pointing us new guys in the right direction. You have all helped so much in getting me started.

Nice! After using the "real" tongs at my blacksmithing class, I am especially cognizant of how terrible it is to try to use a pair of plumbers channel lock pliers in my home forge. I'll have to make or buy some appropriate tongs soon and your picture gives me hope that I can make them.

Nice! After using the "real" tongs at my blacksmithing class, I am especially cognizant of how terrible it is to try to use a pair of plumbers channel lock pliers in my home forge. I'll have to make or buy some appropriate tongs soon and your picture gives me hope that I can make them.

truer words are rarely spoken! im looking forward to being able to join the ranks of people with tongs soon :)

Fine work Gor, they look like you will get plenty of service out of them :)

I'm with Steve, what ugly tongs? Those look perfectly serviceable and that's what counts. My first few were complete messes, I was already too good a smith so I tried for a nice looking finished set and ended up with almost completely unusable tongs. They looked nice sort of but were WAY too light weight to hold solidly.

Those are fine tongs for a first or 50th pair. You left plenty of meat to not only be strong but be easily changeable. You're going to run into situations where a pair of tongs just a LITTLE bit different is exactly what you need. Meat is good. Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see a lot of uses for those. The funny thing about tongs is that the only part you can't change later in the boss, since there's a hole in it. It wont hurt them to break the rivet, re-shape the bit to fit whatever you're working with at the time, or even weld on a piece of channel or half a bit of pipe to one side to keep stuff from moving on you.
Right now they look like they'd be great for heavier stuff like maybe 1 1/2" 2, especially if you added a piece of channel to the end of the bit. I will say, though, that my first pair of tongs "had" solid 3/8" * 3/4"reins like that. My hand did not enjoy that so much, so I drew them out (tapered to a 3/8" * 3/8") and cut off the excess, now they're nice and springy.