I Forge Iron

Another Fisher 150 pounder

Got this one off of Ebay last week. It was a pick up only down in Connecticut and as I have family down there figured if I won it would be a good weekend trip down. As it was it had been the second run for this listing and the seller had lowered the price but no one else bid on it except myself. Still can't believe no one in that area was interested in it. Not too bad for 90 years old, as you can see it is in very good condition except for the few chips on that one edge. I noticed something I do not have on my other larger Fisher and that is the nubs on the bottom of the base. I can see they would help keep it from moving sideways along with the bolt down mounting holes.....pretty good idea. Hope you guys like the pictures.....Scott

post-6303-0-19267500-1350775496_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-21125900-1350775522_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-59430500-1350775533_thumb.jp

post-6303-0-92951100-1350775823_thumb.jp

Looks like a keeper Scott. I'd have to say the pins in the bottom are both index pins and to keep it from moving on a flat stand or bench. I'd really like to have a nice Fisher, my Sodorfers will make your ears ring with ear plugs and muffs on.

Good score.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good score Scott! I've owned two Fishers now, an 80# with no little lugs and a 120# with. Never heard any discussion about them, perhaps NJanvilman will chime in about the why and when. Everyone reading this should note that we are not talking about the mounting lugs with a hole in them that stick off horizontally from the foot of some Fishers, rather 4 little nipples on the underside of the base. Leveling feet?

Frosty, if the ring of that Sodorfers bothers you, bed it in silicone caulk and put a magnet under the heel. It will sound like pounding on an oak plank after that!

Furnace1, can't have too many Fisher anvils in the shop! That's a fine model you have there, and in great condition. Enjoy her!!

That was what I was thinking; but the base could always have "alignment depressions"---I don't recall checking for them on that blacker that went through a fire.

Not to hijack this thread, but the Blacker hammer anvils were made to slide in one directions to align the anvil in and out, and the hammer was moveable for right to left impact zone.

Align so that the top die would align perfectly on the indent that is the distinctive mark of blacker hammer anvils.

The side to side traverse allowed the system to be used with either the top die's edge aligned exactly with the edge of the indent or the top die could be moved over and hit inside of the edge area.

btaim I STRONGLY recommend Fishers for hobby smiths *especially* where neighbors are a concern! I wish I had a half dozen 100#'rs to use in teaching.

btaim I STRONGLY recommend Fishers for hobby smiths *especially* where neighbors are a concern! I wish I had a half dozen 100#'rs to use in teaching.

im going to have to keep this in mind if i ever cross paths with a real anvil upgrade to my 55# Record cast iron

Good score Scott! I've owned two Fishers now, an 80# with no little lugs and a 120# with. Never heard any discussion about them, perhaps NJanvilman will chime in about the why and when. Everyone reading this should note that we are not talking about the mounting lugs with a hole in them that stick off horizontally from the foot of some Fishers, rather 4 little nipples on the underside of the base. Leveling feet?
Thanks Judson, I am partial to Fishers and it is interesting about those nubs. I got the stand level today and bolted it down in the holes that the previous owner was using. Very stable and not likely to move around....it will be put to use tomorrow.

Another thing I love about fishers is the bounce. At first it was disconcerting, not hearing that anvil ring..............but from my experience, fishers have excellent rebound, and I LOVE their thick heels....
I have seen my big Fisher bounce the hammer back at my not too experienced nephew so close to his forehead it made him nervous to keep hammering. I told him the best way to stop that from happening is "Don't miss"...LOL!!...he just needs more practice

To help keep it from sliding around when mounted on a wood stump. The points would sink into the wood.

im going to have to keep this in mind if i ever cross paths with a real anvil upgrade to my 55# Record cast iron

My 300# Fisher doesn't have any nubs. Wonder why they would have been cast in like that?

Align so that the top die would align perfectly on the indent that is the distinctive mark of blacker hammer anvils.

The side to side traverse allowed the system to be used with either the top die's edge aligned exactly with the edge of the indent or the top die could be moved over and hit inside of the edge area.

I really prefer not to have my ears ringing after a day forging. Even when I strap down my Peter Wrights they still make much more noise than any Fisher I have.

Sweet!! My 150# 1907 Fisher has the 4 little nubs. None that I recall on my 300# 1913 Fisher.

I'm loving my 150#. It's a wonderful size. Congrats!
Thank you, I agree it is a nice size anvil and it's going to be used again nearly every day!

Don't recall that my 500+# Fisher has any nubs...
I also have a Fisher 400 pounder that is my main shop anvil and it does not have any nubs.....probably doesn't need them at that weight!

Frosty, if the ring of that Sodorfers bothers you, bed it in silicone caulk and put a magnet under the heel. It will sound like pounding on an oak plank after that!

Furnace1, can't have too many Fisher anvils in the shop! That's a fine model you have there, and in great condition. Enjoy her!!
Thank you!

My 150 fisher has the same little nubs on the bottom, they do keep it from moving on a stump. I assumed since there was no mention of them anywhere that they were normal.
I think they were a great idea. Certainly better when the mounting holes are cast into the base as well

To help keep it from sliding around when mounted on a wood stump. The points would sink into the wood.
Thank you for the info. By any chance would you know what size anvil they stopped casting those nubs on them? I would think after a certain size it would not really be needed for stability.