I Forge Iron

When it Rains, It POURS!!!! Anvils

Well my question was to Stewart as his "Why?" was too ambiguous. "Because I wanted to" and "Because I can" was all the reply I might have made.

I have a 24 volt charger and was thinking of using electrolysis once I get power to the shop; got some old mechanisms that could use it on to try to get them working again.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaughn, the way I have things wired up, the battery supplies whatever current it required to run the "engine". The charger, which is an automatic type, outputs current sufficient to maintain the battery's voltage. RIght now, after 24+ hours, the charger is putting out a constant three amps. This is a fairly heavy draw, but it's hooked up to a BIG item!

As far as the tub goes, be aware that the dimensional limitations for an anvil would be about 11" in height, 29"-30" in length, and a base that is no more than 10" in width (perpendicular to the longitudinal axis). Probably a max of 200 lbs...

Thankfully, my newest anvil is perfectly clean of any rust (well-kept by an engineer that appreciated his tools!), but a largish bucket like that would come in handy for a lot of odd-size stuff that doesn't fit in a 5g pail.

I'll have to hunt down my battery charger and get to work on cleaning that old blower I have!

I have done this with a small stock tank, a golf cart for the battery bank, and the changer for the cart running. Makes fast work of even gang reels for mowers. You must dry and oil whatever finished product you take out, as the bare metal will begin to rust *immediately*!

Be advised that the new "smart" chargers may see the direct setup (without the battery in the middle as buffer) as a bad battery cell and refuse to help. The older style and cheaper chargers work fine for direct electrolysis without the battery.

Since you have the tub on hand I guess you don't need a motive other than a clean anvil. If you had to drop $60 on a tub, or spend more than a few minutes working out a solution then I would still have to believe you had a different purpose than just cleaning an anvil.

I look forward to the results.

Phil

Quick update: been so busy with work that I haven't had a chance to pull the Hay Budden from the tank yet to do the final cleanup and rinsing. Here's a photo, though, showing the condition of the anvil after about 2-1/2 days:

post-27378-0-70514100-1348660674_thumb.j

It's done. The rust once present on the surface is completely gone, and a fine film of black oxide remains in its place. This is easily removed with soap, water and a scrub brush (or a pressure washer). Oiling the surface immediately after rinsing is imperative, so that rust doesn't once again begin to form.

If I get a break at lunch today, I'll try to pull it and show everyone the results.

I have a 24 volt charger and was thinking of using electrolysis once I get power to the shop; got some old mechanisms that could use it on to try to get them working again.

Get a good size tub to start with Thomas, because once you get started you'll be derusting all kinds of stuff. I use expanded metal mesh scraps as anodes, lots of surface area.

The sacrificial metal is the anode or plus side and can be multiple anodes connected together and against the sides of the tub.
Multiple items may be derusted as long as they have a good electrical connection to the neg terminal. You may try forcing the punches in the holes of a piece of expanded metal or wiring them to it. If the items are really rusty, sand or file at the points of contact to get a good connection.

Yup, just don't let the positive and negative touch. You can wire the parts to be cleaned on a piece of all-thread, or put them on a tray, or use grounding wire and clamps.... just don't let the red lead (and whatever it's connected to) and black lead (and whatever it's connected to) touch each other!

I am halfway in Stewart's opinion of "why" since there are easier way to deal with a rusty anvil than setting up electrolysis from scratch (an anvil face cleans up quite quickly from use in fact).

I personally have not tried electrolysis, simply because I have not had a reason to expect electrolysis to work better or easier than cleaning means I already have set up, so maybe the unknown is part of it.

Part of it is tounge in cheek fishing out if he is working on something that a much much larger container would be specifically necessary, and an anvil happens to be a good excuse to give it a test run. (Gosh, did I just call my self a troll?)

Phil

once you have a big enough tank, you dont need an excuse. It is simple to set up, and it is a very effective non labour intensive, and proven system. Much safer, and less dust and mess than wire wheel wheeling. And in my mind, cheaper also, when you consider the fact you can reuse the electrolyte and container