I Forge Iron

New use for a Swage block...

KYBOY

Well a very unhappy UPS man dropped this block off this morning (its only 100 pounds, dont know what the problem is?)..I decided to leave it in the house until Lisa got home from work..My 2 year old boy has taken to playing with it..if you look you can see blocks dropped down in the holes,LOL..Might have to leave it in his room :D

100_6418.jpg

Need to make up some special blocks for it that will fit in specific holes.

I got a toolbox for my grandson last weekend and have placed his ballpeen and eggbeater drill in it for when he's old enough to come out to the smithy and *play* along with grandpa! I always believed in give my kids *real* tools knowing the the first ones will probably get lost or trashed. My daughters still talk about the Christmas I gave *both* of them 3/8" VSR drills...

When I grew up, and my kids too, there were many times the "jacks" were left on the floor. For those that are unaware of their shape, jacks are little 3 deminsional metal stars, that play havoc on any barefooted grandpa's trip to the toilet! I can still feel them now.

But that swage block...maybe it is a different kind of hurting sensation. I would chose the swage block over the jacks any time.

Carry on

s.willis - was just about to say that.... :) very touching how kids engage so perfectly with objects left around - absolute proof that custom made 'toys' are not needed :) i wonder if he has tried to shift it yet.... :)

I can't think of a more fitting use, getting the young into real tools is a service to the whole human race. When you getting him his own hammer?

David: "caltrop" is the word you're looking for. Jacks and caltrops are the same shape, both lay with one point facing up no matter how they land. Officially caltrops are an anti cavalry device, think midevil land mine.

Frosty The Lucky.