I Forge Iron

Where to get hickory for handles

Farmall

Over the last year or so I have purchased a number of hammers and swages that are in dire need of handles. I like to use hickory and am not against shaping it myself from a block. Anybody have some good sources of hickory to use for handles (or inexpensive hickory handles that can be reshaped)?

that or check around if there is anyone around you that has a good sized firewood operation i lucked into some nice strait grained 18inch long 12 inch wide log sections before they had run through the splitter when helping a friend split there wood i snagged those ones and put them aside
the nice thing about handles is you dont need length quality so even in wood that did not make the cut for the mill there is likely some wood that will work quite nicely

i don't know bout hickory, but i use the runners off of wooden palette/skids... they are usually hardwood... oak or maple ! just cuttem, shapem on belt grinder, an finish em they way you like ( i like 50/50 mix pin tar and linseed oil )

oddly, they often don't need replacing after that... hickory is over rated

G

If you are located near middle Tennessee I have some kiln dried hickory. Most of it is 4/4 and some 5/4. I fear the 4/4 may be too thin but you are welcome to look. I might need to make a run of 5/4 and 6/4 hickory just for handles.

and what would your location be Farmall (unless I have missed it) ? I live in Iowa. Indeed Farmall country. Hickory country as well. I have used hickory or ironwood poles for the fly for years.

Irnsrgn has made 8 or 9 hammers for me. ALL the handles came from the place listed on the link. I have yes made a handle for a small ballpien ( hammer was in my family my entire life) with the bark on. I also have made another handle or 2 for other hammers. I have a hickory pole on the flag in the trailer. I have other hickory laying around (walking sticks etc ).

I would say that anywhere in the midwest would be a good source of hickory (or ash which also makes excellent handle stock). As I recall we had a President from Tennessee nick named " Old Hickory ". I know of countless places to find standing hickory. We do NOT however have smithing coal hereabouts. I have to find that elsewhere.

PM me and I might be able to help you out. BTW I have not replaced a hammer handle in at least 10 years (due to breakage. Several handles put on found hammer heads). Some would say that I must not do much work. Others would argue this fact.

A froe, a mallet, a draw kinfe and some glass along with a 4 in hand rasp will be helpful in building your own handles. split your own wood wedges and forge your own steel ones. To say shop built handles are superior to commercial ones to me would be absurd though. Sometimes you just find time to do these things though.

LOCATION, we get folks here from pretty much all over the world---how are we to know where you are at to make a decent suggestion for you? You could be in South Dakota, South Carolina, South America, South Africa or New South Wales! (That's why we suggest folks put their *general* location in their profile so all the location specific stuff has a basis to be answered from.)

BTAIM I collect old pickaxe and sledge hammer handles that have been broken in use---generally up near the head leaving a lot of good handle left that can be reshaped for other handles. Also if you are buying the wood: hickory and pecan are sold as the same wood and so at a specialty wood store they will probably call it pecan---however most upscale wood stores sell only kiln dried wood and air dried makes for better handles as it's a bit less brittle.

In general I buy my handles as seconds on the cheap selecting ones that have full length grain and cosmetic issues generally where I'll be removing wood to shape them to my hands anyway. I used to stock up at fleamarkets in AR and MO, states that make handles.

Thank you, Thomas for reminding me that I had not put my location in my profile. I fixed that. I am in Virginia. While we have lots of hickory trees, gaining access to pieces for handles has been a challenge. I have bought cheap handles at flea markets, but have not had much luck finding any recently. I appreciate the response to my question.

To say shop built handles are superior to commercial ones to me would be absurd though. Sometimes you just find time to do these things though.

Trying not to get to far off the topic,but I must address the absurd bomb......... :)

When it comes to strength, the grain always wins, commercial handles look uniform but the cost is grain violation, and doing this weakens the wood. Hickory is the most forgiving of this, hence the use for handles. But when the two are strained, the crooked handle that follows the grain will take a much greater strain. Works for bows, works for handles.

As for a stock source, I cut all mine off my family farm, only source I know of is staves which you will pay $65 dollars and there only 1/4 of a 6' log, for that price is hard to justify. If you dont have any luck commercialy let me know, we can work something out, I have piles of hickory cut

Address away my friend. I have the experience (and the handles) to prove my point to myself. To each his own. I have been fitting handles for well over 50 years. Does this make me an expert ? Of course not. My opinion still stands.

When it comes to scratch making stuff ( handles, rivets, shoelaces ) some will some won't. So what ?

Again, thanks for all the responses and insights. I have both made and bought handles, but since I have modified most handles anyway, I figured it was just as easy to make them from riven hickory. I take pleasure from doing things by hand. As this is a hobby, I have no need to rush or find the most efficient way for making handles. MarcusB, if you were closer, I'd stop by. As it is probably 8-9 hours from me, probably not! But thanks for the offer!

I have lots of 3"x3" air dried hickory. I cut it for baseball bat stock, but could easily be resawn to 4@ 1 1/2"x 1 1/2. Maybe I should plan on bringing some to Quad States. Or perhaps it would give some of you an excuse to visit the Fisher Museum here in NJ. Anyway, the wood is in 8' lengths now. If anyone is interested, contact me with your wish list and I will get you a price. I could ship in in flat-rate boxes.

I bought a couple of boxes of handles from these guys http://tennesseehickoryproducts.com/ The handles look really good. They do have a $100 minimum but they do have an ebay store for smaller orders.

I used to know a guy who had a homemade handle lathe that would make a hammer handle in seconds, making handles and re handling tools was a big part of his business. But it got so he could buy handles from Tennessee for less than he paid for the wood. The handle lathe was one of the scariest looking machines I have ever seen.