I Forge Iron

Rate hammered leaf

Looks good. I tend to like the thick hot work better than the thin cold work, although both methods speak to me.

The entrance gates to the palace in Wurzburg, Germany, are full of quite large floral work done with hot hammered methods in a Baroque manner by Georg Oegg, circa 1700. An attempt to teach and revise these methods and style was encouraged in a book by Max Metzger of Lubeck, Germany. HIs book, "Die Kunstschlosserei", 1922, shows the use of the kehlhammer (fuller) in incising lines on the leaf forms. He has some nice leaf patterns in the book. The book is in German.

There have been some recent English translations of portions of Metzger's book. Methodology and some patterns are shown and written about in "Metzger Classical Techniques of Hand-Forged Ironwork," translated by Robert Ruhloff, Ashfield, Massachusetts, 2001. A large pattern book is titled, "Metzger Pattern Book for the Artist-Blacksmith," translated by Robert Ruhloff, 2002. These books may be limited in number and may be fairly difficult to acquire, as Mr. Ruhloff passed away in 2008. The books were copyrighted in his name. They are paperbacks with plastic bound spines.

Thank you all for your warm comments. I hope to continue our acquaintance. :)

Now I got the rate of production of the leaf on its technology up to 50 pcs. a day. :) I would like to increase this to 100 units.

John B - Soon the show finished products to these leaves. But if you want, I can show from the portfolio of the finished product, which used similar leaves. Similar - because at that time, the leaves were made by other technologies.

gator13 - Yes, that's right :))))

Frank Turley - Many thanks to the instruction literature. I generally try to learn from the classics of German smiths.

JMcCormick - I'm not far from Moscow, the city of Sergiev Posad. Very surprised that you are from St. Petersburg, I was there in early May.

Thank you Roman,
I would like to see pictures of these in situ, normally leafs are attached by forge welding to other elements as part of the whole, or rivetted on as a facing element, not quite sure from the pictures how the ones shown would be attached or used.

John B

This author's work of my father - Andrei Chernenko. In this work demonstrates the use of similar leaves. Now I'm just a student of my father :)))

Excellent work and something to aspire to, you are fortunate to have such experience available to you. We look forward to seeing your forthcoming work.

Salutations and respect to your father.

Beautiful leaves Roman, I too prefer the heavier gage work. I had the privilege of being a student of my Father, He taught me more things than I realized.

Welcome aboard and Spacebo for sharing your work.

Frosty The Lucky.