I Forge Iron

Sooooo unhappy!

My job keeps me driving all around. It's a good job and I really like that every day provides me with something different.

Until today.

I just happened to be rolling past an old farmstead when I noticed a Fisher anvil sitting on a stump amidst a few wood-burning kitchen stoves. The bolt lugs were easily visible...

Keep in mind that a Fisher anvil around 200# is my dream anvil. I have literally dreamed of this anvil as I sleep, and I constantly keep an eye open for one as I run around the state doing my job.

To get this close to one is simply unheard of. From the looks of it, it had to be about 200#, but it was covered in rust. "Fisher" was clearly printed on the foot, though.

When I pulled into the driveway to introduce myself, hoping against all hope that I might have found another blacksmith if not an anvil for sale, I was met with outright hostility. How dare I pull into their driveway!?!?!

Wow. It's not like they were living well off the highway!

When I inquired as to whether or not the guy did any forging, he completely ignored my question and told me that, "That anvil isn't for public use."

What does that even mean?

Suffice it to say I didn't spend much time visiting. But I will be keeping watch for any auction signs....

Vaughn, I run into people like that every now and then. They are in their own world and want no visitors. They come down here to retire and bring their attitudes with them. There is an anvil near my house that is bolted down in the front yard and used as yard art. Sad.
But there is one out there with your name on it somewhere. Just keep looking and have patience. And don't let the grumpy people bother you. They make you mad for a little while but then you realize that your feelings are temporary but they have to live with their bitterness 24-7.

:P :D :lol:

when I run into people like that I just say to myself, I am sorry your life sucks so much, my theory is that people like that never found their art. And a large hole exists in their life because of it. I am so grateful that I found blacksmithing, it has filled a large void in my life I never knew existed, until the day I started creating.

Don't give up on it yet!
I would make a small candle holder or something, go back and give it to them and apologize for bothering them. Leave your card and tell them if they ever wanted to sell the anvil before it rusts away, to give you a call. (assure them it will be preserved and put to good use, in case it's Grandpa's old heirloom!)

Some country folk are a bit mistrusting of strangers coming to the door, suspecting theives or gas drillers scoping out the land.
You may not get the anvil, and still may be met with the same poor attitude, but you'll leave with the good feeling of being the better person, and they will have a constant reminder that there are some decent folk outside the fencelines.

'' That anvil isn't for PUBLIC use'', That's a hoot!..... :lol: ......Maybe he thought you were Ren Fair scum and wanted to use his anvil at one of those gigs, ya can't be too careful ya know......... ;)
I've gotten hostile reactions from people for even LOOKING at their stuff when it's clearly visible from the road, as if YOU came came onto their property and were nosing around..... :rolleyes:

You win some and you lose some---but you lose *ALL* that you don't try for.

I was once taking a car for a test drive and spotted a postvise leaning against a tumble down shed---my wife wouldn't let me stop; but after we bought the car I returned and got the vise and a 125# PW that was hidden away in the shed. Fellow was in his late 80's and living fairly sparsely and was quite happy that not only did he get some money for it; it was going to be loved and used in the proper manner. (I ended up trading it in on a 400+# anvil that the owner was tired of moving as he traveled; but still wanted an anvil to keep his dreams alive...)

Thanks for the support, guys. It's been a rough day today just knowing that that anvil is there.... but I'm coping. I have a long way to go before I can really put a large anvil to its proper use, so it isn't that great a loss.

The guy's attitude is what threw me. This is an older house with open-sided pole buildings all around. Said buildings are chock full of stuff and clearly indicate that the guy works with his hands. When I rolled up, he was using a belt sander on a roughcut board, obviously making something.

I was happy just to meet a fellow tinkerer and thought that, at the very least, we might trade tips and tricks for general handiwork. I pointed out seeing the anvil as the reason I pulled in, hoping that he might also forge a bit. His responses didn't match the questions I asked. I never asked to buy the anvil. I never asked to borrow the anvil.

Though, I will never understand why someone would want to have 'garbage' in their yards more than a few hundred dollars in their pocket. It's one thing to use the stuff, but to simply let it rot away in a field is such a waste. And I say that about anything, not just blacksmithing tools.

If you're using it, even sparingly, that's cool - but if it's just one more thing in a pile of things that you mow around.... What's the point? Even if it was grandpa's, you're not honoring his memory by letting it go to pot!

If I had any hair left on my noggin', I'd be pulling it out right about now! :rolleyes:

I second Jim,

Growing up in Appalachia myself, strangers are not welcome, usually want something and up to no good. Going back is an option, but the best way to deal with those folks is to be humble and respectful. just my .02

To expand, we own a large farm, had plenty of trespassing, theft and genral attitude from people to make you rather curt to strangers who show up on your doorstep.

That's sad. I agree with jimsship. Try and show them you ment no disrespect and apologize. I will always continue my search for anvils, stay with it. I was blessed with a simple 100# Trenton that has its horn broken off (family relic). But I know there is the perfect one out there for me.

A guy that lives up the road from me has a nice Champion blower on the original stand that came from the family blacksmith shop. It is an heirloom and far too precious to part with.

It sits in his yard in his wife's flower bed.

I'm a VW enthusiast. Last year I pulled into a driveway to ask a guy about his old bug and he definately gave me the "WTF are you doing here" attitude until I was able to strike common ground. Now we say hi every time we bump into each other and I am welcome over his place anytime. He is a nice guy. Some people have huge walls up if you don't break the ice properly. I would try again. Just have a better plan of buttering them up a bit.

i got my steam hammer for 40 bucks of a bloke who hoards all sorts of rusty metal, everyone eles i have spoken to has had the cold shoulder from him, but i thought i'd give it a try asking.....
it must have been my stetson hat and my goofy smile.... we are good mates now.
i think ive just noticed a steam engine in his yard...... :D

no the engine is an engine, and the hammer is a steam cylinder hammer, so to run either or both i need a boiler......
im following one in melbourne at the moment.
there is no way my hammer is ever going to be portable either!
not as portable as this one.... http://www.wheatlandmachine.com/Steam%20Hammer/Hammer.htm

My job keeps me driving all around. It's a good job and I really like that every day provides me with something different.

Until today.

I just happened to be rolling past an old farmstead when I noticed a Fisher anvil sitting on a stump amidst a few wood-burning kitchen stoves. The bolt lugs were easily visible...

Keep in mind that a Fisher anvil around 200# is my dream anvil. I have literally dreamed of this anvil as I sleep, and I constantly keep an eye open for one as I run around the state doing my job.

To get this close to one is simply unheard of. From the looks of it, it had to be about 200#, but it was covered in rust. "Fisher" was clearly printed on the foot, though.

When I pulled into the driveway to introduce myself, hoping against all hope that I might have found another blacksmith if not an anvil for sale, I was met with outright hostility. How dare I pull into their driveway!?!?!

Wow. It's not like they were living well off the highway!

When I inquired as to whether or not the guy did any forging, he completely ignored my question and told me that, "That anvil isn't for public use."

What does that even mean?

Suffice it to say I didn't spend much time visiting. But I will be keeping watch for any auction signs....

I’m sorry to hear about that bad experience, VaughnT.
I’ll tell you what... if you're ever in Cincinnati, let me know and feel free to pull in my drive and use my 257lb Fisher.
I know it's been said before, but, we all have to work on getting these anvils and other tools away from people who collect and hoard!! These are TOOLS people!!! They are made to be used!!!! OK, I’m stepping down off my soapbox now. HAHA

I have had smae experience here in Maine my dad was an antique picker and auctioneer still is :) I stoped in and they had the lawn art and pretty much chased me out of the drive way I came back after I made a lovley plant hanger as I saw they had a few store bought ones. I was met with the same resolve and explained the local historical society had a get together and we had a few items left over :) So I explained that this would looknice to go along with the anvil and walked away . A few days later an elder lady stopped me in a store and asked if I would stop in as her husband wanted to thank me for the plant hanger. I wheeled over a few days later and found that they had a relitive that forged and that the anvil was very semtimental to them and it would never be for sale. At which point I offered if they wanted to come to the blacksmith shop to just vist at the fair grounds they were welcome. it took several weeks but they showed up on open blacksmith night and watch and talked a bit. This was several years ago. I found out last year they donated that anvil to the historical society last year as they were moving south for their health.
Make them something have fun doing it and get joy from giving it you never know :)
Jim Heckman
Firegnome

Sorry to hear that story Vaughn. I ran into the same problem once. The wife and I were out driving and she realized we were near the old homestead of her Great Aunt & Uncle in the township of Lima N.Y. She directed me down a certain road so we could have a look as we passed by because she had a lot of memories there from her childhood.

Turns out the people who own the place now were sitting out on the front porch which is close to the road so my wife wanted to stop and chat with them. She wanted to snap a picture of the house. As we walked up I immediately noticed an old anvil on a stump right next to the front door and my wife said "that's my uncle's old anvil he used to make horseshoes on for his team he farmed the place with". She was sure of this because she remembered the horseshoe nailed to the side of the stump. There was a pot of flowers perched on top of it. To me it looked to be a Mousehole of about 150 lbs.

These people weren't very friendly at all and immediately got up as we approached and said hello to them. The man went right into the house and the woman said rather curtly "we were just leaving and no, I don't want you taking any pictures of the place!" then she too disappeared into the house and slammed the door. Oh well.

We got back into my truck and the wife got her picture anyway. Have been back passing by there a time or two since and that anvil is still sitting there wasting away with the flowers on it. Shame.