I Forge Iron

Forge Opinions

01tundra

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will definitely update this thread when I start using my forge, I'm sure there will be ongoing modifications as I learn to use it.

I can't wait to get started, but I am really trying to wait until I get to at least on class, which needs to be very soon.

Great piece of work ,,I expect all of the work yoiu do willl have level of craftsmanship..If it were mine i would want to crank blower with my right hand,,when time to forge i would not have to stop cranking and pick up tongs with left hand...Or I coiuld just learn to do just that and get to work!

That is an awesome forge. For a first time build and new at smithing - well done.

This one was my 4th attempt

Forge.jpg

Sadly had to leave it behind when we moved.

Too bad you had to leave it behind, great looking forge and I really like that hood set up as well.

Can't wait to see that orange glow in mine!

Great piece of work ,,I expect all of the work yoiu do willl have level of craftsmanship..If it were mine i would want to crank blower with my right hand,,when time to forge i would not have to stop cranking and pick up tongs with left hand...Or I coiuld just learn to do just that and get to work!

I'm left handed, but also ambidextrous.................so it actually works for someone as messed up as I am :D .

Thanks. That hood was 5mm plate with old asbestos roofing inside as insulation - the red glow on the hood front is not reflection. This beast got very hot to stand behind on a warm summer day - but I sure do miss working with coal.

Good to see some other people in my area getting into blacksmithing!

I believe that I'm all set up to start learning. I'm planning on attending classes at the John C. Campbell Folk School in the next few months.

I've heard there's a group that meets at the Wilson County fairgrounds, but haven't been able to find any more information than that yet.

• 1 month later...

Finally fired up the forge last night and got some coal coaked and played a little with some square stock. I figured since I attended my first class last week and have my next on tonight, I may as well see if the forge was even going to work and try to learn how to bring up and take down a fire by myself.

I was surprised how easy the green coal started up, all I did was make a mushroom shape with newspaper, poked a hole in the center with the anvil horn, and threw a few chunks of Cowboy's charcoal on top. Lit the paper on the bottom side and slowly started cranking the blower as I raked coal in from the sides. It didn't take long to get going, had to poke down in the center once or twice. I piled the green coal up about 2" high around the fire pot and wetted it down while I messed around with my metal.

It didn't take very much cranking to get the metal glowing, it surprised me how quickly it heat up.

When I decided to take the fire back down, I raked the coal off the top of the fire pot back onto the hearth and wetted it down. There was a center ring clump above the tuyure cover that I had to break into chunks before raking out. I then used a shovel to remove everything below the grate level and put it in a separate pile on the hearth, thinking that it would be easier to separate out the clinkers. The problem is, I'm having a hard time figuring out with are clinkers. I didn't get any of the smooth, heavy clinkers like I saw during my first class. I did find some chunks that looks a lot like pot metal, wasn't sure if those were clinkers or not? Nothing felt noticeably heavier than the coke pieces.

Here's some pictures, the last picture is what I felt looked a little different, but weight wise it was the same as the rest.

post-25697-0-17077700-1346782820_thumb.j

post-25697-0-20878100-1346782821_thumb.j

post-25697-0-24231100-1346782822_thumb.j

post-25697-0-25485100-1346782823_thumb.j

Well, I completed my first class assignment on Tuesday.....it isn't pretty, but I got it finished and signed off on. I need to slow down and also learn to put more heat on my metal, I caught myself trying to work it too cold a few times.

I'm going to be doing a lot of practice work at home this weekend.........

Lesson1.jpg

I'm kind of bummed I couldn't keep up with this thread, watching you fab your forge is more than a little enjoyable. I don't see anything I'd do differently except maybe your air grate but I'd sure give it a try before trying something else. The cart stand is terrific, roomy without being too big and clunky. Mine is pretty clunky but I don't burn coal so. . .

Oh yeah, I didn't use nearly so much counterweight to close my ash dump. What I did was use a long lever arm with maybe 4 oz. weight on the ned. The long arm puts the end near the edge of the table so it's easy to reach with tongs or the hammer, it's also close to a roughened piece of strip stock so I can push the lever against it and it stays partially open. A little ash makes a perfect seal and what little air it leaks when clean is inconsequential.

Your drive hook looks like a fine piece of craftsmanship, especially for a beginner. It's uniformly forged, well bent and clean. Very nice. Watching you build your forge however, leads me to expect no less than fine craftsmanship. I'm thinking you're going to be a real contributor to the craft.

Frosty the Lucky.

Someone. Had a good cheap Forge design. By using a skillet as the tuyere basically, as. Far as using a brake drum. That's always a great option. I. Have access to all kinds of gravel truck brake drums. Which can be used as a Forge or post vise.bottom stand.
You got plenty of Good ideas. Cool design too. You can use That flexible metal pipiring.that folks use to vent dryers or bathroom. Vents fans. To at least get you from the blower to your black pipe. I've done that before. Myself.

• 2 months later...

Thought I should update this thread.

I've been using my forge at least once a week for 10+ hours at a time, usually more than one day.

I've successfully forged welded in it and it's proven to be a solid and effective performer for forge welding, heat treating, and standard forging.

I have yet to have any air flow issues, any clinkers that have formed have settled to the bottom around the raised tuyere cover. After forging and welding for 10+ hours, I have very minimal debris in the ash dump as well, maybe a half a cup worth as the most, I could forge many days in a row without needing to dump it if I wanted to.

The forge lights quick and performs flawlessly. The original cap with the array of 1/4" holes is still the one in use and there will never be a reason that I can see to change to a different design. The only thing I've missed about not having a clinker breaker is not having to mess with it. :)! So if you want a KISS (keep it stupid simple) build approach, I feel as though this one fits the bill. It's rare that anything I build works as desired on the first attempt....sometimes even after the fifth or so attempt, but so far my forge, anvil stand, and post vice are proving that track record wrong. I'm very pleased (and shocked) at how everything has worked out.

Since I'll be venturing into the world of propane forges this week I figured I should update what my experiences have been like in hopes that it may help future people getting into this craft.

ForgeUpdate.jpg

• 3 weeks later...