I Forge Iron

Odd Hammer Head

NeatGuy

Could be a top tool like Frank indicated. Send that model number to the factory and see what they say. I didn't find it in their current catalog so it may have been made for an individual company for their own particular use. Since it is now your hammer I guess you can rework it any way you want to.

I have owned a few mob tools over the years, I have been drawn to them because of their unusual shapes and the fact that they are cheap around here $5 to $10. The down side is that the eyes are huge so you often have make your own handles. I also think a lot of these tools were for some very specific task not necessarily forging perhaps quarrying and dressing stone. If they were smiths tools they were for working with a team of strikers because many of them are huge and overly long.

John B is right SNCF is the french railway company and looking into the MOB catalog, we can see something like your pics show. They call it a mechanic's riveting hammer.

You also seem to have a number stamped on the side. I can't read it easily. I tried looking for the number in the MOB catalog. Did not get it. You might have better luck.