I Forge Iron

The Crows claw, My first axe idea.

I sketched a (not to scale) blueprint of what I want this axe to look like. Hopefully you guys can forgive my crappy hand writing/ art skills.

I want it to be about 45-55 inches long. Weight doesn't really matter.

I attached the jpg to this post just in case that doesn't work.

So I'm asking for a brutal critique of this axe, as a tool and weapon. (Zombies aren't going to kill themselves. :ph34r: )

Also critique, how hard would this be to make? Should I use a different wood for the handle? I like my friends Kabar Kukri with a rubberized handle, should I use a rubberized texture for the handle? Do I need a pommel? Maybe a different type of carbon steel? What should the thickness be? Should I quench this is oil or water?

Say anything, bad or good I couldn't care less. :) If you have something to say, say it.

My experience is non-existent. My best buddy forges weapons and I'm often at his house watching him work. Now I want to take a shot at this forging stuff.

Thanks for your time.

post-24027-0-45927200-1327987506_thumb.j

woah ! i dont ever make any blades and axes and all that, but i do know that looks pretty complex for experience non existant... the knife guys on here will tell you the same, or maybe they wont even comment because they think what your trying to do is so unrealistic :) its a very mad looking axe and i can see why you want it - but i would reckon you should try a very simply shaped object first and see how you feel about the design then, you will know if you feel able to take it on or not . dont give up on your dream axe :) but get warmed up with some other easier things first -- a simply shaped knife will be work enough - you will get there if you stick at it. get some (lots) of advise off your mate and best of luck toborah!

woah ! i dont ever make any blades and axes and all that, but i do know that looks pretty complex for experience non existant... the knife guys on here will tell you the same, or maybe they wont even comment because they think what your trying to do is so unrealistic :) its a very mad looking axe and i can see why you want it - but i would reckon you should try a very simply shaped object first and see how you feel about the design then, you will know if you feel able to take it on or not . dont give up on your dream axe :) but get warmed up with some other easier things first -- a simply shaped knife will be work enough - you will get there if you stick at it. get some (lots) of advise off your mate and best of luck toborah!

Thanks a bunch. :D I'm glad you like the design. Also, yeah it is complex it was just a doodle and I was wondering if I could seriously make something like this. But thanks again. :)

If its only for a "zombie", why do you need to use a tool steel, ?

Flat plate, angle grinder, (hacksaw possibly) and a drill is all you need, pommel may need a bit of forging

Play and learn

Where did I say I wanted to use tool steel? :blink: I said either carbon steal(1045-1095) or 5160 spring steel.

"Weight doesn't matter" Then this is neither a tool or a weapon! Weight does matter for each! I repeat: Weight does matter for each!

Full tang would be stronger. If you want to make the blade heavier looking you could forge it thicker right were the bevel starts and taper in both directions like some of the historical "danish axes".

I strongly suggest you look at historical weapons and their weights and then figure out how to get yours in that envelope as that range has been proved in by use!

5160 would be my suggestion; but you would need access to a large forge and powerhammer to work down a big chunk into those shapes.

I'd say your handle would split right at the "bolts" after a few good chops.

But, you never know 'til you try.

I've been forging for 10+ years and wouldn't get near a piece of 5160 of that size with a hand hammer.

If you're just making a theatric piece or wall-hanger, I'd have it cut from plate.

If you're serious about making real weapons or working tools, research the past 1000+ years of iron/steel axes and see what works.

Here is a good place to begin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQaaS71yfvM

We don't know your background or skills but traditionally axes were made from real wrought iron with only the edge being a medium to high carbon steel. If forge welding is not your forte you could forge the basic preform and arc weld the edge material on and then finish forging to final shape----makes heat treat a WHOLE LOT SIMPLER too as only the edge needs to be hardened.

As to usability I'd suggest mocking one up out of wood and seeing if the edge is where it needs to be with the handle design. Adjust as needed and then have the mock-up present when forging the steel one as a "live model". The wooden one can then be painted up and used as part of a Halloween costume

I like the idea, it is kinda like the sickle on a piece of pipe we use on the pond cat tails, but heavier! I looked up halberds and it seems not terribly different, yet only similar. It seems to have an anime feel to it, but retro-future (zombie, yes)

I agree with making it out of wood first. A day or two carving up some wood will give you a whole lot more information than a drawing, and provide a lot less frustration than spending days and weeks making it out of metal. You also get a full size pattern for all the parts. Many custom knife makers will make a wood pattern first for design work and pattern approval, so don't think it is beneath you.

Phil

These are just my thoughts, and mine alone, but here goes.

The handle will break where the tang ends. Have the tang extend at least beyond where your upper hand will rest when wheeling the weapon.

The beard of the ax (especially that much ) was meant to hook over a opponents shield and draw it down so your buddy could stab them with a sword. Do you really want to draw the zombie in closer? Axes are meant to chop. Yours looks like it would be very uncomfortable to do that with.

However, it does look really cool and I would want one.

Thug Axe, Ork Axe, Mad Max Axe ohh yes!!!! I can see that. Zombie Axe, not on my plan. I would rather take a woodman's chopping axe. Why you may ask and my answer would be weight. That axe looks good for slicing the flesh, get an arm, a gut, etc. but it would have issue when getting to bone. Mean while a traditional wood cutters axe, with the thicker (spiting edge) and a good thickness will easily cave a skull, and could launch a head from a zombies shoulders. It could also be used as a bashing weapon if need be.

I also like a cutting edge. and I like the look of yours but not a edge all around, especially where the head meets the handle. Why? so that when I chock up (slide my hand up to block with the central haft, slide my hand near the heard to dislodge it) I don't want any chance of my hand running into a bladed edge. Granted the blots should give warning but my adrenaline and distractions could cause me to forget that warning and then bad things happen.

If you're going this far I say go for a pamul, not necessarily for balance but to strengthen it if it is also needed for striking.

I will admit I am a SCA heavy fighter and fight something to like a 2 handed axe as my primary style. The thing that is needed most of all in that style is shock and momentum. If you get your weapon trapped somewhere then it is over. I should also point out that I use my "butt spike" as often or more often then my cutting edge.

My 2 cent
PS. My ZAP calls for hire fire power and keeping my distance.

WOW. I got waaaay more replies than I expected! :D This is amazing!

And I can't help but agree with some people that this thing is mediocre, I understand fully.

Thanks so much guys. :)

I've noted everything everyone said.

I also forgot to put my inspiration for this weapon. ---> http://www.wowhead.com/item=19874

*Edit* Also some people were taking the zombie phrase a little too seriously, it was a throw off comment.

Also I think the blade length would be longer than 15 inches. Now I'm thinking 18-20 ish.

now if I were to make that design I would think about a few things. one is the tang which wont survive even a playful chop around . you could either make it full tang or or at least take it further than your first holding hand.
the other would be material thickness .
instinct would say 1/4 plate but you would end up with a 12lb chopper if you did that . fine as a wall hanger not so good for zombies .
I would also question forging it all .cut it from plate and grind away weight if you want it looking forged then chuck it in a fire and give it a tap over. an axe with that much weight forward of the handle will not feel rite unless you are doing vertical cutting as the off centre head will pull the handle round in the horizontal .
If you are going to do it make the beard longer !!
If that were mine and going on the wall I would have a barbed wire wrap (knock the pointy bits down or not as you like!!)
have a look at Magnus Axelson to see how far the idea of axe can be taken.
http://www.magnusaxelsonknives.com/knife-gallery-6641473
good luck

I'm glad that this post got a lot of support. :) Sadly I'm just a senior in high school with a very tight budget for college. If someone however wants to take a whack at this design, go ahead.

im in my 2nd year, and i have a semi equipped shop, accumulate tools and materials over time and it make the budget take it alot nicer