I Forge Iron

Mild Steel Source

I'm new to blacksmithing. Done a basics course and a tool making course.
Just wondering what would be a good source of mild steel that I could get my hands on?
Or alternatively how much could I be paying for stock?

I've got some springs and a truck leaf spring for my tools steel, to make tools out of.
However when i've got some tools made, I already have a few requests of things that people want making. (Thanks Mum).

Would like some mild steel to make a few items out of. Just trying to gather some information on possible sources for mild steel.
The more of it I can get hold of, the more I can practice!

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Sounds like you have a solid foundation to build your skills upon.

Across the pond in the US, most hardware stores stock varying sizes of mild steel. A few that come to mind are Fleet Farm, Farm & Fleet, Menards, ACE, and Home Depot.

Having never visited the UK, I'm not sure of what stores you would have.

Junk yards are also a smith's treasure trove, but you can't really be sure of the composition of the steels you find there, unless it's a recognizable item, such as leaf/coil springs, etc. Be careful with junkyard steels.

Hi Tom,

Make sure you know what sizes you want first if you have specific items to make,

Look in your yellow pages, (or Yell online) for steel stockholders, or go around your local business parks looking for small engineering/fabrication companies who will often have scrap bits that are usable, or will sell you small amounts.

Hook up with a local smith and visit, see if they can help with supplying you what you need. or ask them where they get theirs from.

Here the steel that the big box stores sell is quite expensive compared to a "real" steel source---as in they want almost as much for a 4' piece as a real place wants for 20'!

What I do is to go to a local small company that uses steel and buy from them, in my case a windmill repair, restoration and installation company. As they get a better rate when they buy steel in larger quantities they also sell to the local area and even will piggyback an order for special sizes onto their regular order. Quite nice as the next closest place is about 50 miles away---the joys of rural life!

When I lived in the city there was a local moderate sized "ornamental iron" company that had to pay to get their scrap hauled off and was happy to have me pick up a couple hundred pounds of it on a regular basis. (I forged trinkets for their office, *always* asked permission, came when it would not interfere with production, wore PPE, and left it neater than when I arrived)

If you live near a city with industry you may live near one or more wholesale distributors of structural steel. In neighboring Maryland there are two wholesale suppliers, and there are others in Pennsylvania. Some local smiths purchase their steel from fabrication shops that in turn place their order from those Maryland wholesale suppliers, and pay the markup.

Try to find your local steel recycler or junk yard. That's your best source. Aside from that watch Craigslist. A couple weeks ago I spotted an ad by a couple who had just taken down an old 'wrought iron' fence around their yard. Scrap was free for the taking. Of course it was mild steel not real wrought iron. But I saved what I wanted and scrapped the rest.

Tom - check out this link http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4311

Its a general hobby welding site, but that is a direct link to a thread on steel suppliers in the UK. Should sort you out.

As an easy first step, you can use the Parkers Steel website to calculate rough costs, and then use that to negotiate with other suppliers to get a better price: www.parkersteel.co.uk. Good for getting a quote together, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend using them. Don't forget to factor in vat and delivery though!

It is always worth getting a few quotes and playing them off each other to bring the house down - they have negotiating room in their prices.

Good luck, Al.

always look for roadside treasure! but don't do it on the freeway. also some can be found in and around dumpsters,land fills,and such but always ask premission,and get the word out..ya never know where the next lead will send you.the more eyes you have out there the better,also there are the mystery pieces that just show up. happy hunting,jimmy

Hi Tom
a lot depends on your budget. £100 buys a lot of mild steel bar/rod/strip delivered from any of the mainstream steel stockholders.

But if you're looking for just some bits and pieces... Back when I lived in Swindon I used to visit Haynes of Challow (near Farringdon, Oxfordshire) - a fascinating place. Out front it's a mix between hardware store/farm and garden store - but behind that there's sheds of furniture/ junk / surplus building materials and some bits and pieces of steel. Behind that there's a proper scrapyard - cars , old machinery etc. Go dressed to scavenge (and looking poor) and haggle/pay in cash. Bargains to be had.

Dee

Thanks a lot for all the info guys. Its massively appreciated.

Dee J - Thanks so much for registering just to give me that info on the really local place. A big help.
Not too far of a drive either!

Just got to finish a few smaller projects and then i'm free to start collecting up bits.