I Forge Iron

How much do used anvils sell for in your area?

I got a 125# for $325.00 last weekend at auction didn't really want to go that high, but it was a clean anvil.The guy I was bidding against I didn't think he was going to go to $350.00 and if he did it was his anvil. To make up for it I also bid $3.00 on a rusted up tool box that had 4 brand new brazing tips and a 6' folding metal ruler in it, those go for $80.00. Not a bad day.

Note that the Asking price is not necessarily the Selling price! I see a lot of anvils on Craig's list for outrageous prices (and we're in an anvil poor region). However the last I bought was a 112# Peter Wright for $150 dollars, this was last year and the condition was nearly *mint*. Funny I didn't buy the battered and abused Vulcan for $6 a pound just an hour's drive further away...

It also depends greatlty on the area too. the area from Ocala Fl, up to gainesville, is very old and there are a lot of Farriers, and most of those have been around many generations. It is easy to walk into some places and buy virually all your blacksmithing needs. and cause they are older tools they tend to be a bit cheaper than new stuff.

Way to much!!! In the Tri-State area Many folks buy them at ridiculous prices for a garden decoration or similar type antique decor item.

I found a 300 pound Hay Budden painted red/white/blue being used for an outdoor decoration. I asked if it was for sale and after a couple of days the guy ran into me at a bar and said I could have it for $150. You could guess what my response was.

I stopped going to auctions due to long waits and ridiculous prices; except that I saw one that was a HVAC company selling on a Holiday weekend; so I expected No antique dealers and few industrial dealers---and was right. Only 1 other person even went down to where the anvil was stored when they moved to their new building in 1938...

134# HB in great condition $150. Anything the modern HVAC companies didn't want went dead cheap: I also bought a 5' heavy duty brake (as in the owner told me they used it up to 1/4" thick stuff!) for $15 while the new hydraulic larger one went for over $10K