I Forge Iron

Kitchen pot holder ideas?

I've been sketching and doing google image searches for the last few weeks. It's been proving difficult to find a design for a pot holder that looks good and is also within my skill level.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a thread or pictures dealing with something along these lines?

Or any ideas would be helpful.

I'm looking to do one that is flush mounted to the wall. and will hold five pots. 3' wide.

I can do pass through, riveting, scrolls,

I have not yet done clips. Forge welding is still hit or miss.

If you can draw it, chances are good you can build it. Mock-ups in paper, paperboard, and cardboard are excellent starting points, and let approval from clients get started with minimal effort and life-size placement. It also allows for easy measuring of stock - take apart the mock-up.

Phil

Go rectangular with the long side up against the wall. Use angle iron brackets in the corners to conect the metal and two rivets per side of the angle for a secure attachment. You could use a scroll system on each corner going up to the wall to support the piece.

Here is an example picture of the corner.
DSC09910.jpg

Arean,

I just completed an install on a pot rack system for a home on the Coast of Maine. The client wanted a colonial theme that was simple in design yet functional. it was to be iinstalled in a rather large kitchen space. The post and bean configuration of the building makes it an "open space" and they did not wan the design to be overly busy or bulky.

I suggested a rail system that would mount under the overhead beams and be non-intrusive. Previously they had a box like hanger between the beams and the look was not right for them. The two longer rails are 12 Ft and the third rail over a sink is roughly 10 ft. The design utilizes forged hooks of different lengths. I had the client in the space for the design work so I had them reach up with a few pans in hand to get the idea of what would work best for their height. Keep in mind that the end user is what we design for and around.

The 90 degree hanger brackets are 1/4 in x 1 1/4 in, forged and then riveted to the rail stock. The screw holes are drilled on opposite sides in two places and couuntersunk. The bracket offsets the rail from the beam by 3/8 in This keeps the rail off the beams. Note that beams sometimes deflect a little so you need a little "reveal" to make everything look right.

The railing is 1 1/2 in x 1/4 in flat stock. The edges were cold dressed and them forged hot. The rail ends are slighlty upset to finish the stock ends and keep the hooks from accidently slipping off the respective ends. The rivets are 3/8 in, deco fiinish on the viewing side and upset on the back side. The 13 hooks are 1/4 round stock, identical in shape and they vary in overall length.

The finish is multiple coats of Bees Wax and Linseed oil applied hot and buffed out. Avoid the paint if your clients like the look of forged metal. I supplied the client with a few ounces of the wax\oil paste for the occasional touch up.

The client was pleased with the finish product and the overall look blended in well with the post and beam design. I picked up another job at the same time designing a plant hanging rail in the adjacent sun room. This particular part of Maine has some serious blacksmiths in the neighborhood, so I made certain all was squared away and ready for inspection before I departed. Photos attached.

Good luck with your project.

Peter

post-3252-0-74837800-1313959178_thumb.jp

post-3252-0-47721400-1313959191_thumb.jp

post-3252-0-80278000-1313959212_thumb.jp

post-3252-0-07494500-1313959228_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Here is one I just finish for a client there are two rack 32"x32" and 24"x24" made of 1/4"x2" forge welded and punched and drifted holes which hole off set S hooks which hold S scrolls which hold the 2 levels to one an other. and 60 hooks. the husband said that his wife has too much stuff can hardly see the rack

post-3564-0-51519500-1315860279_thumb.jp

Here is one I just finish for a client there are two rack 32"x32" and 24"x24" made of 1/4"x2" forge welded and punched and drifted holes which hole off set S hooks which hold S scrolls which hold the 2 levels to one an other. and 60 hooks. the husband said that his wife has too much stuff can hardly see the rack

What a pile of beautiful copper cookware. I almost agree with the husband about too much, but yea, the rack is well hidden. Can't even say much about it...forest and trees and all.

Phil

• 1 month later...

I made a smaller one too similar to the larger for my daughter I posted earlier. It was a short rail like yours except I had three moveable hooks on it rather the stationary hooks like yours. This is for our small egg pans and such. I like the moveable hooks in that I can space as needed and could just add another later if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember to bear in mind the size of the hanging holes in the utensils. A lot of my hooks with the artistic reverse curl on the end won't fit through the holes on ladles, spoons, etc. Also the hook with the twisted end catches on the hole when the spoon is lifted off, and sometimes the whole hook comes off the rail. Sometimes we must sacrifice art for function.