I Forge Iron

ok well i know someone that has set me up with.....lots...of spikes and being the new blacksmith i am they are glowing with potential but, bringing the potential out? i only have few ideas, now i know you can make alot of things from spikes but being new and haveing no help on thoughts of uses, i wanted to see how big a list of things i can make out of them with, i'm not asking how well they are for this and that, i just want to know what can be done with them regardless of poor quality of the finished product, it is one of the only few metals i can obtain without any hassle and for right now is about the only thing i got to work with so if i can get any thoughts or info on anything spike related please drop a post. :)

Well, just about anything can be made from them. Do a search on RR Spikes in the gallery and it will come up with many things that have been made.
It is only limited my one's imagination. They are fun to work with. Good luck and share pics of what you do with them. Here is one example to start things off.

gallery_2512_468_41141.jpg

Ryan, welcome to IFI and blacksmithing. The only thing that may get in the way of what to use rr spikes for is your imagination.

post-14490-0-09367100-1311679934_thumb.j
post-14490-0-08649500-1311679835_thumb.j
post-14490-0-05180800-1311680267_thumb.j

Since I don't seem to have too much of an imagination, I draw from what others have done. But that is what most things are today. Inspiration from somewhere or someone else either in the past or in our present.

However there are a few exceptional persons out there that are truly gifted. Find them and learn from them.

Mark <><

A servisable rail road spike twister can be made. Take a 1-1/2" x 3/8" flat bar 22" long, cut off 2" save small piece. Find middle of long piece, trace the spike head on it. Torch cut so the spike head fits loosely but will not turn, weld small piece over hole. Use ; place spike in vise, head up , place twister on top of spike head, and twist right or left, hot or cold. If you can twist a spike cold I might have a job for you.

Hi
they make nice tongs ... got abit of carb in them so they're better than mild... but not enough carb that your worried if you coolem off in the slak tub

http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=20358&view=&hl=tongs&fromsearch=1

Greg

As the HC ones are at the bottom end of medium/top end of mild steel in carbon content they will be a bit harder under the hammer than mild and make a bit tougher tooling than mild.

One suggestion: stop thinking of them as "RR Spikes" and start thinking of them as: Steel, 5/8" sq stock, bottom end of medium/top end of mild steel...

I made a spoon stake from one that I like.

If they show up at my place by accident or some other way, I try to sell them or get rid of them. My humble opinion is that things made of them are often slender like a letter opener, and then you have this oversized striking head on there. In terms of design, it looks dorky. My 2¢

Ryan, welcome to IFI and blacksmithing. The only thing that may get in the way of what to use rr spikes for is your imagination.

post-14490-0-05180800-1311680267_thumb.j

Since I don't seem to have too much of an imagination, I draw from what others have done. But that is what most things are today. Inspiration from somewhere or someone else either in the past or in our present.

However there are a few exceptional persons out there that are truly gifted. Find them and learn from them.

Mark <><

Mark,

I don't know if there is already a tutorial on making the cross, if not can you give some instructions on how you made the cross. did you punch the hole first, then draw out the top and sides, or did you draw out the top and sides then punch the hole. I would be interested in making one for my church.

PoundHound

I agree with Frank; except I always have a few on hand from the scrap yard I can *give* to new smiths who want to do something with them so they don't have to run afoul of the authorities trying to get them from the RR right away.

A lot of new smiths will run out and collect a big pile of them and then 30 years later realize that most of that pile is still around.

unfortunately i never thought of them as a hold down device for a large peice of metal for more metal to roll on that metal, i seen them as oppertunity more than anything, and from reading alot of peoples posts on these, you either love or hate them, in my opinion metal is metal and no one should be picky considering the circumstances of what we do, some shapes, sizes, and kinds of metals may be better for particular things but we work with metal because we enjoy it or at one point in time enjoyd something about it or most of us anyway, we alter and work the metal to what we want so i don't think we should take any metal for granted, its all metal its all smithing it's all enjoyable and fun and thats what alot of us do it for, i know for a fact thats what i do it for but again, this is just my opinion and only doing this for a year im sorry if i seem rude on the subject im not trying to be, but back to the questions at hand, i was wondering if they had enough mass and strength to make a deacent hammer?, just a thought i kinda want a lighter one for my smaller items i like to make thats suitable for blacksmithing.

Mark,

I don't know if there is already a tutorial on making the cross, if not can you give some instructions on how you made the cross. did you punch the hole first, then draw out the top and sides, or did you draw out the top and sides then punch the hole. I would be interested in making one for my church.

PoundHound

I had done one and also David Custer (Firey Furnace Blacksmithing) did one. Davids is better. Here is the link to his:

http://www.iforgeiro...s__fromsearch__

Mark <><

I had done one and also David Custer (Firey Furnace Blacksmithing) did one. Davids is better. Here is the link to his:

http://www.iforgeiro...s__fromsearch__

Mark <><

thanks for the link, I had read the anvilfire instructions which were a little hard for me to follow.

my last question then is if using a railroad spike, how do you cut the part where the head of the spike is? Just cut through the head, seems like if I could remove some material so that the part is bent up to become the top of the cross that would be best.

PoundHound

Rr spikes are decent steel though they're odd sized for smithing unless you're making spike novelties and such. I still have maybe a dozen or more and every once in a while whack something out from one.

The first time I had access to a power hammer I drew a bunch out to about 3/8" rd. leaving the head, then I made a number of "rattle" snakes some as candle holders and a couple other thingies I don't recall. The heads only take a little refining to make a decent looking snake head.

Recently a friend of mine has been rebuilding a cabin on a piece of remote property and asked me if I knew anyone who would make him a couple hundred hand forged nails. "HUH?" I said, "you're gearing up to smith aren't you? Nail making is a great learning exercise. Why not make your own nails, better bragging rights you know.

Darned if he didn't have a couple okay reasons not to, first being he doesn't want to pack his only anvil and kit some 140 miles from home and a good 12-14 miles off the road. And most CERTAINLY does NOT want to leave at the cabin. So, I'm thinking on the subject, beginners typically don't realize just how little equipment one needs to smith let alone smith something really simple. This led me to think of a solution so he could make nails while sitting around a camp fire after a day of renovating his cabin and doing it on a tool nobody would think of taking. Heck, probably wouldn't want it for any reason.

So, here's a pic of the RR spike, nail anvil, header, cutoff stake tool thingy I made up. It actually works though I tried it out on WAY too tall a block of wood that wasn't cut straight even. <sigh>post-975-0-35498000-1311729794_thumb.jpgpost-975-0-56613000-1311729823_thumb.jpg

Well, just about anything can be made from them. Do a search on RR Spikes in the gallery and it will come up with many things that have been made.
It is only limited my one's imagination. They are fun to work with. Good luck and share pics of what you do with them. Here is one example to start things off.

gallery_2512_468_41141.jpg

What are the hook ones used for? And how did you get that pattern on the handle, twisting and untwisting?
The 2 gallery pics by John of all the projects lined up on the sheets also gave me a rush of anticipation to get busy!
I love it.

JimsShip, the ones with the small hook on the end are meat turners , or flippers. You stick the hook into the meat you are grilling and just flip it over and the hook comes out. The twists in the handles are called cube and pineapple twists. There may be tutorials on this site that you can pull up.
I agree, I like John's selection of items too!

Mitch

I have always made hooks from rr spikes. The bulky heads are suited to this and I love it when you get one with some interesting pattern, lettering, weathering, or hammer marks from the guy who blasted it in the timber.

post-979-0-73366600-1311776234_thumb.jpg

The hooked ones are steak turners and usually sell well when explained to folks and then the follow up sales as once they use them their friends and family turn out to need them too...

There are two types of twists there: dice twist and pineapple twist. Searching on those terms should get you instructions.

thanks for the link, I had read the anvilfire instructions which were a little hard for me to follow.

my last question then is if using a railroad spike, how do you cut the part where the head of the spike is? Just cut through the head, seems like if I could remove some material so that the part is bent up to become the top of the cross that would be best.

PoundHound

Poundhound, What I did after flattening the head for a base, was to make a diagonal cut just above the head (now base) angling up on about a 45º. This gives you a "foot rest" at the bottom of the cross. Then take a heat and bend it backwards to facilitate the cut up towards the cross. This is the leg that gets cut short. After all cuts, reheat and bend back straight again.
Clear as mud???

Mark <><