I Forge Iron

Standards

newbladesmith

Ok, some of the people i know are trying to get me to make blades that would basically be "wall hangers" so that i can make money. I just can't bring myself to do it. I have one simple rule with any blade of any kind that i make. If i wouldn't want to have it with me if i was in a survival situation then i start over. I won't sell anything that i wouldn't use myself. Is this really so wrong? I mean I have standards, and some people can't seem to understand that. What is the general opinion here?

Your personal standards are yours. Stick with them; but be willing to let them grow---I've seen a lot of extremely well made "art" knives I would not want with me in a survival situation but are good knives anyway.

"I don't do wallhangers/display pieces" is certainly a good place to stand pat if you wish.

this is a topic i have talked to others about and i totally agree with your standards!!! My personal belief is if your selling a blade and it isnt really a blade (ie its mild steel) and you dont tell people up front that its not real then your a thief! and even if you do tell them its not a market ide want to get into...Ive been in a show with someone selling that kind of junk and i wasnt happy about it ... his only customers for that kind of stuff were kids (16-25 year olds) who really didnt understand the difference ... and probably wont till they take theyre new toy and smack a tree with it and it bends... then it will come back and they wont be happy... if people really want junk blades india and china makes lots of um ...stick to your guns!!!

Once a blade leaves your hands, you have no control over what happens to it. What happens when the guy who buys it from the guy who bought it from the guy who bought if from you tries to use it, and discovers he bought a piece of non-functional mild steel? It may not be your fault, but how are you going to feel about that? How's it going to affect your reputation that a piece with your name or mark on it is effectively useless?

I agree with everyone who has spoken so far! Stick to your standards. My neighbor has come to me wanting to bring home some scrap angle iron or mild steel so I can forge him a "big bowie knife" out of it. I told him it was the wrong type of steel. He responded that he just wanted a "big shiny bowie knife" to hang on his wall to show people. He hasn't gotten the knife yet and he won't get it either until he is willing to let me make a quality piece that CAN hang on his wall and look good, but can ALSO do the job it is intended to do if ever called upon by him or his great grandchildren.

NO COMPROMISE! Let them go to flea markets and stock up on junk knives. You make quality and those who know quality will eventually be drawn to your work.

Once a blade leaves your hands, you have no control over what happens to it. What happens when the guy who buys it from the guy who bought it from the guy who bought

The way I see it, if a blade is bought and rebought and rebought.. the final owner only knows what is marked on the blade, who made. every owner of that item will only be able to know the maker and this will help or hinder the makers reputation. So if I can not have enough faith in my work to carry it my self, first I dont put my mark on it, second I throw it it the scrap pile for later use.

in otherwords it doesnt leave my shop and if it happened to be taken it can not be traced back to me.

while my reputation isn't much I already have 10-15 parents wanting to buy my tomahawks for thier kids once they graduate from cubscouts and are allowed to use axes and the like in boyscouts.

Can the wall hanger made of mild steel be provided with a small radius instead of a sharpened edge and have some kind of marking to indicate "decorative use" to satisfy those with a concern for their standards?
Sort of a disclaimer for the friends and family who would get you to do this decorative work.

it's ur business...do what pleases/satisfies you! You can't put a price tag on character or integrity...

Gene

Personally, nothing leaves my bench which isn't meant to be functional. My grandparents have had a Bowie knife hanging on the wall for over 40 years...it's never been used that I know of, but when I have taken it down to check it out, it shaves hair.
A decorative knife can be functional, and if it's on the wall it can be viewed as being easily accessible in the case of say, a home invasion or something.
Make a display knife...dress it up with fancy wood and shiny metal and show the world that your capable of impressive art knives as well as plain utilitarian blades-while making both fully functional.
Your reputation and integrity remains intact...plus it presents opportunities for more business when someone asks the owner "Wow, where'd you get that knife on the wall!?!"

Oh i defiantly make some very beautiful "art pieces", but i refuse to make one that isn't functional. I just had a different definition of "wall hanger" then some i guess. To me a wall hanger is something of mild steel, or something that has a welded screw tang. That sort of thing. Even with my plane work knives, i try to make them look as good as possible and have some sense of stile and grace. Just because something is functional doesn't mean that it can't be beautiful, but on the flip side, just because something it beautiful, (and half the time costs an arm and a leg) doesn't mean that it's functional.

I have made many blades that i know will never be used at least by there current owners but every blade i make is capable of being used if the owner so desires. What happens to them after they are delivered to the customer is out of our control. I only make usable knives and feel that if it cannot be used it is not realy a knife.

Bob

I think that a lot of what has been said here is a little OTT .
there is absolutly nothing wrong with making a pleasing or beautiful sword or knife like piece of metal . do a good job of it and it is no less of an object than any other piece of art.
If there are people who want somthing made and are willing to pay for it ....why not ?
unless of course you dont want to or are too busy.
I have made a "fence of the fallen" for the chelsea flower show and it comprised of lots of "fake" swords hacked about and roughly forged .It employed me and pleased a good client and led to other work.
saying I wont do that because I dont" believe in" it is all well and good....but work is work and getting away from the confines of function can really set ideas free.

Owen i make knives in my spare time and that is only my opinion and standards for my own work.I have no problem with what anyone else wants to do, you are right on if that's how you make your living and that's what you want to do.
But to me a knife is a tool first art second.

Bob

well if you are going to make nothing but show pieces that aren't functional then why bother to have a forge at all. why not just cut pieces from crap steel, grind a bevel on them, slap on a handle and sell them. No, i built a forge so that i could make real blades. I take the time to hammer them out, and heat treat them so that i can have something that is beautiful yes, but that i can also proudly say is my work. The collectors who don't care about quality can order from the knife collectors show. The people that want quality can buy my work.

The old Norse had a concept called "Fehu." It translates poorly into English as "gold" or "money." The concept was more like "life stuff you can trade."

Fehu is more than money. It is skill and physical effort and emotional effort put into something. It is satisfaction available out of something.

When folk say "you could make more money doing x" they are of course correct. But can you make more fehu doing x? Can you make as much?

Do what your heart demands of you. Money ain't nothin' but another promise from the government.

well I think you know your mind go for it.

however . I do not think that function be all and end all. what I am trying to say is that a wall hanger could be made to a very high quality without being functional.
it could be a worthy and fine thing .
function is fine and for some things it is the whole thing , but so little value is given to beauty.........

Do keep in mind folks that our "mild steel", A36, whatever material can, given an edge, without ANY quenching cut your arm clean off.
What you call a mild steel wallhanger can do quite a bit of damage.......humans are soft and squishy.

So...can you tell by looking what is a polished mild steel blade and what is a piece of any medium or high carbon steel "properly" forged and heat treated?

Make the type and style of work you wish, but if the job is not making what you like to make then either do it as the client wants, talk them into something else or pass on the gig. You do not have to say yes to anything.

Ric