I Forge Iron

• 4 weeks later...

Test piece of 3" square rivet head (more like a roll pin) ended up with 2" overall spread at 1-1/2" high crown. Drilled a 1-1/2" hole 1-1/4" deep. Used a 3, 4 pound single hand, 8 pound striking and 17 pound sledge. Took 8 or 9 heats and a couple hours, now I no why I have several power hammers!

1post-2769-0-34586700-1321032256_thumb.jp2post-2769-0-00342100-1321032289_thumb.jp3post-2769-0-67685500-1321032297_thumb.jp4post-2769-0-60202800-1321032326_thumb.jp5post-2769-0-69391500-1321032338_thumb.jp6post-2769-0-14614300-1321032352_thumb.jp7post-2769-0-64338500-1321032363_thumb.jp8post-2769-0-26495700-1321032374_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been using one like this for some time(not this particular brand, but similar)..they last a while.
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Accessories/Pages/BoschAccessoryDetail.aspx?pid=343#specs

Very aggressive. Some attach a bungie cord to the 7" angle grinder to offset the weight of the tool/wheel. I understand why, but on some level the weight helps with the cutting.

Ric

I love those wheels but a warning for anyone else reading this thread, make sure you don't exceed the rated speed of the cup wheel. A 5" cup wheel does not go on a 5" grinder the speed is too fast. I suggested using a cup wheel to one of my customers that had a lot of grinding to do. The wheel exploded and hit a guy that was helping him. It cut his leg quite badly and he had to go to the ER for stitches.

Sad to say the B&D 9" (aka "The Man Eater" ) have spent many hours together doing the dance. I say the dance because she is like dancing with a big girl, once you get her moving you let her lead. :wacko: I have one and it is the right tool for the job when you need it. I think it is the primary reason I have the problems I have with my hands and elbows today. I truely can say I am a master grinder. <_< I believe I know what you are calling a snagg wheel but have never heard of the term.

I was working with a guy running one with out a guard and it got caught up in his overalls, by the time it stopped, it cut through his overalls, t-shirt and was all bound up and cut his stomach wide open. He took a dozen stiches. We had to cut the grinder out of his clothes to take him to the hospital.

That is an epic rivet for hand work, WOW.

Seems like a pantograph sorta setup would offer assistance with control by resisting the torque, yet allowing freedom of movement, and retaining the weight.

I wear a special pair of gloves for using my chainsaw, they have rubber pads on the BACK of the fingers, and these pads have little splits in them. They are also padded in the grip. My hands feel a lot better than if I am wearing a regular work glove, but the grip area is rather soft and gets tore up easily handling wood. Win/loose here, especially since they are not a cheap glove. I switch to regular leather gloves when I put the saw down.

http://www.tractorsu....com/-734116499

Phil

Michael,
Thanks for the call today. Good to hear from you. I've been nose to the grindstone, sparks flying out and haven't had much time to spend over here. Looks like I've missed some cool stuff! This project looks fantastic. Great subtle curving forms on a large scale- not easy to accomplish. That rivet is a beast. ;) I look forward to seeing this thing standing.
-DB

• 4 weeks later...

How Exciting!! cant say wow again.. WOW ! thats looking so fluid and graceful - thats what amazes me and is striking me today looking at the pictures - you managed to get those things into something so large and hard to handle. love the way it looks above the rivet ( and THE rivet obviously...) the way it fans out, and the way youve placed the feet like its walking. Fab. ! RESPECT... :D am loving your smiley face - id be smiling too :D