I Forge Iron

Crucifiction spikes

A while ago I did some crucifiction spikes for a guy! Well, I got another order for them!

Last time I used RR spikes so I wouldn't have to forge the heads....cheating I know!
This time I used 5/8" square bar and I made a header for the job. It took a couple of test runs but I finally got the hang of it.

The spikes are to historical specs of about 6 inches give or take! The heads are hammered wth a large ball peen hammer (ball side) to give them the look of having been used several times. They are steel, not iron! Oh well....i'm not that historically correct! LOL The corners are sharp which is another historical spec.

The spikes with the header and a 5/8" mild-steel drift that I made to make the header! (I have NO drifts!)
DSC00912.jpg

The heads!
DSC00910.jpg

Swinging the four-pound sled
DSC00891.jpgge!

Actually I could taper, smooth, and mark the cut-off point on the hardy, all in one heat if I tapered on the treadle hammer. However, I was trying to get blog pics so I used the hand hammer!

Just for fun! This is my "shop essentials" shelf located next to my forge.
"Red flux," EZ-weld, water, and Planter's peanuts! :)
DSC00904.jpg

Thoughts???

I am going to ask a basic question, which is how the header works. Does it line up with your hardy hole? What keeps the spike from falling through?

Richard

That is a funny question to ask me because, until today, I have NEVER made a good nail. The number of nails I've tried to make does not excede the number of fingers I have.......that being the standard issue, ten!

Anyway, here's how she goes!

Punch/drift a hole the size of the stock you are heady. Actually I believe slightly undersized is ideal. When I made the drift for this one, I hit it VERY lightly on the sander so take it down below the original stock size. This is probably less than the 64th of an inch range. (I don't really even know if that did anything at all!)

Anyway, punch/drift a hole the size of your stock or slightly smaller! The hole needs to be a tapered hole.....I.E. slightly larger on one side. The slightly larger side faces up! This prevents the header from scraping shavings off the metal and making a mess.

Rotate the header as you use it to keep the head even!
Hope that helps.....someone else might be able to give you a clearer explination, because what I wrote sounds about as clear as mud! I usually have that problem! I know the information, but I don't quite know how to convey it in a clear teaching fashion!

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The hole in your header is smaller than the 5/8" square stock. To make the stock fit, you draw out the shank until you have an acceptable length. Now, when you place the spike in the header, the drawn out shank sticks out of the bottom, while the remainder of teh 5/8" stock can't fit through.

Then you heat what will be the head of the shank, and slide the header onto the spike. You then shape the top of the spike with the shaft in the hardy, and the stock deforms to become the head of the spike.

Essentially, you are making really big nails.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The hole in your header is smaller than the 5/8" square stock. To make the stock fit, you draw out the shank until you have an acceptable length. Now, when you place the spike in the header, the drawn out shank sticks out of the bottom, while the remainder of teh 5/8" stock can't fit through.

Then you heat what will be the head of the shank, and slide the header onto the spike. You then shape the top of the spike with the shaft in the hardy, and the stock deforms to become the head of the spike.

Essentially, you are making really big nails.

Exactly! The header hole is VERY slighty smaller than 5/8ths!

Yes!

#1 Draw out the nail!
#2 Stick it in the header and estimate the amount you need for the head. Make a mark, remove the header, cut it on the hardy NEARLY all of the way through.
#3 Reheat, place the nail in the header, twist the parent stock from the nail, and then make the head!
#4 If another heat is needed to complete the head, drive the nail back out, reheat, and head. If it doesn't come out of the header, quench, and then drive the nail out!
#5 Reheat, and straighten everything up!

Yes, they are just REALLY big nails!

I really appreciate you guys clarifying this for me. The key, then, is a tapered nail in a tapered hole, and making the sizes line up such that a certain amount of the nail sticks out above the header, and that amount is what you hammer and make into the head.

The header never goes into the fire, I suppose, just sits on the anvil. How thick is the header relative to the stock?

Sounds like the sizing of the nail vs. the hole would be the critical part. Hammer too little, and you have too much sticking out, hammer too much, and you don't have enough sticking out to make a head. But maybe that goes back to the idea that the header hole is just a bit smaller than the stock, so the care goes into making the header more than the nail. I like the idea that one puts the spike into the hole, then marks the cut point, makes it all less critical. If the spike is too short, hammer it a bit more to make it longer, if the spike is too long, cut off the end on the hot cut and then hit the new end a bit to taper it.

I have been doing quite a bit of drifting lately, so I understand the concept of tapered holes and a tapered spike. It is reversed in that in drifting, the hole (work) is hot and the drift is cold, while in heading, the header stays cold, and the spike or nail is hot. When the nail or spike cools down, I would imagine that it would be pretty easy to drive it out of the header, or maybe that is done hot.

Thanks,
Richard

Ferguson, as you speculate, the nail should come out of the header easily. As the nail shrinks it contracts, and as the header warms, it expands. The nails should fall out, a tap at most to encourage them. (Don't want to bend the end, then they become rivets and won't come out.)

If you bend the nail you can have some trouble getting it out, so I recommend making your header large enough to go over the hardy hole. It can go over the pritchel hole, but that's so much smaller and increases the chances of an errant blow making a mess of things. I also find that more mass in a header makes it feel more solid under the hammer.

And for those el-cheapo customers who only want to pay us with peanuts, the bench mark is set. None of that off brand generic stuff, we want Planters!! I haven't got around to making any nails yet, but after reading all of this, I got some ideas if I ever need to. Thanks folks! Spears.

In that video, does the rivet simply stay in place with the vise holding it ( because i would have thought that it would slip through with that force ) but i may be completely wrong... or is there something i am missing.Because with a header, there is something supporting it ie. the bulk of stock that will be the nail/rivet head, that one makes if they use a header

alec

p.s great stuff dave!!

In that video, does the rivet simply stay in place with the vise holding it ( because i would have thought that it would slip through with that force ) but i may be completely wrong... or is there something i am missing.Because with a header, there is something supporting it ie. the bulk of stock that will be the nail/rivet head, that one makes if they use a header

alec

p.s great stuff dave!!

Yes, friction will hold it in place, if your vice grip is good enough, the key is not to try to hammer the head too hard

Exactly my thoughts Spears! LOL Actually don't we just tell those customers to take a hike! :huh:

"Double Edge" Thanks for posting that video. That's a neat tool, and while I suppose it is probably a basic beginner tool, I'd never seen or heard of anything like that! (Course that could be because I'm a basic beginner smith!)

"Alec" Like Mr. John said, the vice should hold it in place. The tool actually has to be made a TINY hair smaller than the piece you are heading. I know the concept, but someone who has actually made the tool might be able to say how much bigger to make the hole.

Also, once you hit the first blow or two it is set a bit so that it can't slide down at all.

Thanks for the comments and added thoughts!

alec

p.s great stuff dave!!

yep even friction....the holes are drilled with card in place to allow for grip when finnished. hit as hard as you like.

and sorry, ...nice nails dave

Thanks for the answer Dave, but I'm still a bit perplexed as to why someone would need such nails. From a Biblical perspective it seems a bit morbid and your client doesn't seem to be ordering enough for construction purposes.

Both of the clients that have ordered spikes have been pastors. The first one was doing an object lesson at some sort of Christian camp, and was planning on allowing the attenddees to drive the spikes into wood! (I have no idea how he got them out once they were driven in!)

This client was wanting them, so far as I know, just for display!

this whole Crucifixion nail thing creeps me out,...why would somebody want to shock some poor kid with that ?....... come here kid,..hows it feel to nail this rubber hand to the board ? cool huh ? sumptins' not right 'bout dat