I Forge Iron

Crucifiction spikes

I have made nails to be used in a crucifixion sculpture and for the stations of the cross (both in a Roman Catholic church).

Since I'm Jewish, it seemed especially weird. :unsure:

For the clamp type header (and a lot of other things) I use a business card as a shim between the two jaws when I drill the hole. That way the resulting hole is just a shade smaller than the drill bit and will contact the work before the jaws contact each other.

I have made nails to be used in a crucifixion sculpture and for the stations of the cross (both in a Roman Catholic church).

Since I'm Jewish, it seemed especially weird. :unsure:

For the clamp type header (and a lot of other things) I use a business card as a shim between the two jaws when I drill the hole. That way the resulting hole is just a shade smaller than the drill bit and will contact the work before the jaws contact each other.

shim....was the word. i did a bit of a pic seq. on this one...please excuse the dodgy workmanship...for the rivet, you cut the pre determined lengths, 45mm shaft plus head stock for this block, heat and whack. as fciron explained, you dont really need a bottom, as it grips well enough from the use and removal of the shim while drilling.

post-4920-0-52489500-1299354564_thumb.jp

post-4920-0-98463800-1299354568_thumb.jp

post-4920-0-14514900-1299354574_thumb.jp

post-4920-0-72777900-1299354579_thumb.jp

post-4920-0-88779600-1299354584_thumb.jp

post-4920-0-15299400-1299354590_thumb.jp

this whole Crucifixion nail thing creeps me out,...why would somebody want to shock some poor kid with that ?....... come here kid,..hows it feel to nail this rubber hand to the board ? cool huh ? sumptins' not right 'bout dat

Hmmmm!
Interesting question! Why would someone want to shock some poor kid with video games that allow you to shoot, stab, blow up, and otherwise mutilate "bad guys?"
Or movies that show the same? :huh: Just my observation, coming from the same angle as yours!

I have heard about the shims and have used the business card trick before. It's a good way to use otherwise useless business cards! LOL
That way when someone you are completely uninterested in hands you their card, you can honestly say, "hey thanks, I really need that!" LOL

The first set I made was for a baptist church I believe, and this last set was for a "Christian church."

I'm an Independant Baptist, but it seems to me that it would be more of a Catholic thing. (At least from the perspective of "our croud.") Anyway, sorry! We don't need to get into any of that! B)

From what I had Googled awhile back on these spikes, yours may be a bit thick. The artifacts that that they had pictured were in the 3/8" square range. Length was around 6" for the hands, and 8" for the ankles. There was even some description as to how they were used due to one spike being found still in the bone that it had been driven through. The consensus was that a wood washer was used under the head to keep the person affixed, and keep the spike from pulling through.

Not being religious myself, I won't get into the rest of the discussion of if it is appropriate for the church members to use these for whatever reason they do. What I will say is that the human race has devised some pretty gruesome methods of killing our fellow man.