I Forge Iron

making tongs, what to use for rivets

canuk

Got it I think, sidesaddle NOT sideways saddle. I'll have to search out some images in use I guess. 

A convertible sidesaddle brings images to mind of Mel Brooks movie with an evil dwarf and a remote control cackling as he switches the rich girl's riding club sidesaddles back and forth. 

Sorry, I just can't get the scene out of my mind's eye. 

Yes, being able to mount wearing a sword or sabre is the common story. I know none of our horses cared which side you used. The roping horses got a thrill out of watching riders dismount over their heads. I don't know if they were more amused by somersaults or running on air dismounts. If they hit a pile of pucky or the compost pile with the ejected rider they'd wicker and laugh.

Easy was very much a one person horse but even she'd let a person ride without pitching for a while anyway.  Get heavy handed with the reins or wear spurs and use them? Oh BABY it was flying time! Sometimes we had to wear spurs to be properly dressed but a touch was all we did. 

I'm off to look for sidesaddle rider images

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once went on a trail ride with an old rodeo horse.  Spooked a lot when it could hear  my chainmail shirt jingle; but the extra weight did make you a bit snugger in the seat.  Too old to be really feisty, luckily.  Now my Maille shirt doesn't fit me anymore...

Okay, sorted through some images and found one that showed how it works pretty clearly. 

My memory doesn't go far enough back to recall. Are you Clearwater Training Stables or is that were you ride, or maybe I'm way off?

Frosty The Lucky.

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

A convertible sidesaddle brings images to mind of Mel Brooks movie with an evil dwarf and a remote control cackling as he switches the rich girl's riding club sidesaddles back and forth. 

what mel brooks movie was that?? i have to know!!!

Edited by Mod34
Trimmed quote

The one in my head, Mel Brooks was the first crazy whacky movie maker that the voices suggested when they started playing the scene. 

When I get an implant so I can go online without a computer in the way I'll play it for everybody. It's short, maybe 10 seconds.

Your voices play any movies good enough to share? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm more of a Young Frankinstein guy; but Blazing Saddles is one of the mandatory films folks in my circle have to watch---along with "The Princess Bride" and "Lion in Winter".  My Daughter just started the older of her 4 boys out on "Black Adder"...

Gotta wonder about the dangers of beans and campfires though!

If you liked those check out the old Mel Brooks film "The Twelve Chairs".  A bit more bittersweet than his later slapstick, but it still has a young Frank Langella as a romantic lead and Dom Deluise as a supporting actor (not to mention the amazing Ron Moody and Mel himself).

s-l400.jpg

My list of film essentials includes those Thomas mentioned, but is a whole lot longer...