I Forge Iron

making tongs, what to use for rivets

canuk

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had friends in the 70s who had a dog named Dee Oh Gee, seemed to be a trend for a while there.

We named livestock within a theme each kidding lambing season. The two that come to mind right now were Mountains and TV News personalities. 

Deb made naming the lambs harder as they had to fit two criteria. Food animals NEVER got pet names, you don't want to start thinking of them as pets. We bought a few fiber sheep with the intent of putting the one with the poorest fleece in the freezer before it go told enough to be mutton. 

Unfortunately the only sheep's name I remember is Bran, the other two were both fiber food names but I named them probably within weeks of my TBI and it's a fuzzy time. What I remember about Bran is he was the least dangerous of the remaining pair when I was able to do barn chores again. 

Sheep are DANGEROUS stupid, especially when they weigh in around 200lbs. 

Our #1 rule for naming dogs is, the name can NOT sound like a command. No dogs named Hero or Ray, etc. Another not quite rule is to use a commands that are NOT common for the important commands. 

Our release command is, "Alright and the dog's name". You don't need to see 30 dogs sitting obediently around the arena at an obedience or other class break when the one doing the demonstration says "Okay" to their dog. 

We use a sheep dog command as a recall, "To ME." Everybody uses "Come," and you rarely see dogs break and go running to someone else who says Come over for dinner tomorrow. What I REALLY like about "To Me," is it's versatility. Our half Miniature Dachshund half Chihuahua, "Pocket" demonstrated she knew what "To Dad" or "To Mom" without instruction. Then we incorporated take or give and she'd take something from Deb or I  no problem. Get took a little while but not long. 

We've taught these to all out dogs since. Dogs are easily able to understand short sentences built from familiar words that change the meaning. Find the car keys, take them to Mom is a cinch. So is get my keys from Mom, etc. It's so easy to underestimate dogs, especially the working breeds. Border Collies and Aussies for example can be smarter than their owners. 

Frosty The Lucky.

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

Deb made naming the lambs harder as they had to fit two criteria. Food animals NEVER got pet names, you don't want to start thinking of them as pets.

We used to have a wee bit of fun naming animals. Our very first steer was T-Bone, then Sir Loin, and our third Porterhouse, pretty easy to make the association there....We bought a Nubian buck one year and he got named Diamond, all his kids ended up with "stripper" names.....We've had a bull named Porkchop, and boars named Baconator and Sir Lance a Lot. We did have a little runt piglet one year we named Wilber, something just wasn't right with him and he never really finished out. My wife was not a happy camper the day he made the trip to freezer camp. 

Now we don't have breeding stock and just buy our feeders, they all just get ear tags.....kinda boring.

Puts a damper on it doesn't it. The first time I experienced, dinner was pecking in the yard this afternoon was on a vacation with a friend's family. We visited his uncle and aunt on a farm in Missouri I think. The aunt announces chicken for dinner for the guests. Then she hands cousin Mike the cleaver and says pick a young one she's roasting it. 

Mike, (not my cousin) walks out into the yard with a bit of corn in his hand, scatters it around the chopping block and grabs a plump young one, WHOCK. Dinner's running around without a head.

My friend and I are standing there while Cousin Mike wipes off the cleaver and waits for the chicken to stop running around, picks it up and starts plucking. We'd completely missed it when he gutted it but the farm dogs didn't, they took off with the ofal a couple happy campers.

I wasn't sure about dinner that night but nope, that freshly chopped chicken tasted great! WE both  knew what, "running around like a chicken without it's head," meant too.

You'd have to have had my other's fried chicken to understand why I could hardly hardly eat fried chicken for a long long time. That's a different story though.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was visiting an alumnus some years back who’d grown up on a small farm; his father has been a mathematics professor at some tiny rural college and supplemented his inadequate salary by raising chickens. As we talked, he pieced a chicken with more precision and speed than I’d ever seen before, all while giving me his full attention. Most impressive. 

I tried raising chickens one time.  They were Rhode Island Reds and they were mean.  We never named them and maybe they would have been happier if we had.  They chased my dogs around and flapped at you with their claws (feet,claws,talons) out looking for blood.  They were even tough eating.  I think the coyote's got some of them.

Theres good egg chickens and theres good meat chickens. The egg chickens are edible if you cook them just right. If not they are like trying to eat rubber. 

I prefer a wild critter get the bad ones. Saves me dealing with them. Unfortunately last time a fox got in my coop and killed 3 birds, it was my good egg layers that got it.

i raise exotic japanese chickens, used to raise 900 a yr.. only chicken that didn't taste good was the asian game bird type  asils and malays

i still raise my own meat chickens, don't like the store-bought cardboard birds. lol!!  you just need to cook them slow,,,

3 more rivets to go and the saddle tree is done!!!  

DSCN6058 2.JPG

I don't think I've ever seen one for riding left side forward. I haven't seen many but I always assumed they were all right leg forward because of the "rules" of riding such as mounting from the left side of the horse. Well, today I learned....

Pnut

this is an offside..  your left leg goes around the upper pommel and down the right side,,  they are very rare..

you never sit sideways in a sidesaddle unless it was made before 1700,     Frosty..    but many riders let the hip with the leg over the pommel side forward.. this is not safe, but it happens..   only the legs are one sided ,  the shoulders and hips are square to the horses and you look between the ears..  

usually a person ..including me.. rides offside because the right knee or hip are damaged,,,    yrs ago some wealthy women would have separate saddles forboth so they didn't get one-sided in muscle development,, or there are a few reversible saddles..  i used to have one,, you move the pommels from one side to the other really cool..   one sidedness is not a issue now days but if you rode for 6 to 8 hrs a day it might be,,  lol!!

legend as it that mounting from the left side was really about where the rider wore  his sword,, most had theirs on the  left,  so they mounted from the left,  to keep the sword out of the way..