I Forge Iron

The other 12 inch cooking hook

Well it is official! I am the worlds most talented smith!

I have just successfully completed the ugliest hook ever forged by human hand. That takes some top-notch tallent!

Material: 1/2" square
Technique: S-hook with J-hooks forge welded on

I tacked the J-hooks onto the main hook with the mig welder just to hold them in place. I also waited to bend the S-hook shape until after the other two hooks were welded on!

This is just an all around bad design of hook in my opinion! It is too difficult to do any finish work on the hook, and the forge welds are insanely difficult to do without frying the parts! Tack welding was the way to go because I didn't have to worry about lining things up, ballancing, and then dropping the tongs to weld! Normal lap welding is a walk in the park compared to this!

I have no idea on time, as I did the hook in three different forging sessions! I've just had to work on it a little bit at a time because I've been busy with the construction and other things around here that have to be done as well.
Someone else please try this! If you want something to make you mad sometime......this is the perfect thing. LOL :)

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

I've got to stress test these welds to make sure that when my client sticks his "pot-o-beans" on to boil, they don't break off!

Thoughts???

Dave,
No parent should ever call or admit in public that their child is ugly. Leave that to others. I really don't think that it's ugly although it may not be beauty padgent material. The questions are, is it functional and does the customer think its pretty?
If it holds a pot of beans safely then mission accomplished. It's going to hang over a fire and get all sooty.
I think its a good job and I am not about to tackle something like that.

I probably would have started with larger stock, perhaps 1/2 x 1 and slit the different hooks to avoid any welding but I'm not that talented either. I like it Dave.

Mark<><

it looks just like the originals ive seen in a book ... it would be a lot easyier in wrought iron tho ... not bad lookin just not a item that lends itself to astetic beauty..hang sumthin heavy from every hook it looks like the welds are good but that will prove it ...

The design was my client's pick....

Hot cutting out of larger stock might be the way to go, but the example my client sent me was of forge welded hook, and I had nothing to do but comply!

I hung a 35 pound weight on it! You think that's enough? I mean a 35 pounds of pork-n-beans is a whole bunch of food......If he's cooking that much, I BETTER get an invitation!

I hung a 35 pound weight on it! You think that's enough? I mean a 35 pounds of pork-n-beans is a whole bunch of food......If he's cooking that much, I BETTER get an invitation!

While that is a lot of food my cast iron dutch oven or bean pot weighs quite a bit by itself.

http://www.dutchoven...utch-oven.shtml

I have the 6qt and this lists it at 20# for the pot alone. I weighed it on the bathroom scale and believe it.

Remember that water is 2# per qt, so my 6 qt dutch oven is about 32# with water in it. Food weighs a little more.

Phil

What to worry about is if rust sneaks in an "iffy" weld and pops it open later in it's use life.

Also dynamic loading---someone with that full pot trying to hang it on the hook may lurch and "drop" it.

Don't say yours will see that; just things for people to be aware of.

I had to build a tripod for a 10 gallon bean pot once---10 gallons is 80 pounds of *water*! The pot was not light either. I ran the feet out horizontally a bit and flattened them so they would resist sinking into the dirt---and turned the tips down in a 2" spike so they would resist sliding apart once set. (Had an old country vet who would trade smithing for vet work back around 1985...)

I am wondering what order your welded it up in now. I cant tell from the pics if you welded the top is essentially an S hook with the two bottom hooks attached, or if the intermediate hooks are welded to a common backbone S hook made of the top to the bottom hooks.

Phil

Well maybe I'll throw another 35# weight on tomorrow!

The pattern of weld is as follows.

There is a larger S-hook with the middle and top hook added. The middle hook was welded on first and the the second hook.

The actual S-hook was bent after the other two J-hooks were welded on. This made moving it around in the fire much easier.

In order to position the hooks correctly (aprox 3 inches between hooks,) I layed the backbone hook on the table after the tapers were done, but before the hooks were bent. Then I figured up how much steel I would need to bend those hooks around.
After that I drew the entire hook, full-scale, on the table. Then I lined everything up with the drawing with the aid of reference marks on the hooks, tack welded the J-hooks in place, and then forge welded them on!

Piece of cake!

:lol:

Hi Dave, Glad you achieved your objective and stuck with the customers specification.

One minor point for future reference, instead of tack welding the additional pieces on. it was a common practice to hold pieces in place with 'rivets' when forge welding items to a specific relationship

These rivets could vary from horseshoe nails to rod ends, and blended in when the weld was finally complete.

Well it is official! I am the worlds most talented smith!

I have just successfully completed the ugliest hook ever forged by human hand. That takes some top-notch tallent!

Material: 1/2" square
Technique: S-hook with J-hooks forge welded on

I tacked the J-hooks onto the main hook with the mig welder just to hold them in place. I also waited to bend the S-hook shape until after the other two hooks were welded on!

This is just an all around bad design of hook in my opinion! It is too difficult to do any finish work on the hook, and the forge welds are insanely difficult to do without frying the parts! Tack welding was the way to go because I didn't have to worry about lining things up, ballancing, and then dropping the tongs to weld! Normal lap welding is a walk in the park compared to this!

I have no idea on time, as I did the hook in three different forging sessions! I've just had to work on it a little bit at a time because I've been busy with the construction and other things around here that have to be done as well.
Someone else please try this! If you want something to make you mad sometime......this is the perfect thing. LOL :)

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

I've got to stress test these welds to make sure that when my client sticks his "pot-o-beans" on to boil, they don't break off!

Thoughts???

Overall it looks good. I never attempted a hook like yours . but like other items , The first 100 are the rough ones. :)
Marc H.

Hehehehe! First hundred??? Well I'll just send my client over to you if he wants another one! ;)

I was wondering what the traditional route would be Mr. John! Thanks for bringing that forward.

That's *one* traditional method. Another is to have your apprentice hold one piece on the anvil while you take the other out, place it and weld it.

Remember back in the day having a "one person smithy" was about as common as going to a modern hospital and having only 1 person in the operating room besides the patient.

That's *one* traditional method. Another is to have your apprentice hold one piece on the anvil while you take the other out, place it and weld it.

Remember back in the day having a "one person smithy" was about as common as going to a modern hospital and having only 1 person in the operating room besides the patient.

Yea! Hey I got an idea....you could come work for me! LOL :P Actually I have a friend about 1 1/2 hours west of here....been trying to talk him into moving here!