I Forge Iron

Old Wrought Iron Bridge

Well, the county finally got the OK to tear out the bridge and they did so last week. I was finally able to get the bracing bars cut off of it yesterday. I ended up with 16 pieces aprox 1" square that vary in length from 8' to about 12'. There was also 4 pieces that are 3/4" X 1 1/2" about 10' long. Now, I just have to figure out what I'm gonna make with it. :D

I agree with Clinton.... Take all you can get off the bridge. There should be lots of folks at conferences (especially Quad States) that will pay for just about any form of wrought iron.

Here's a picture of the bracing that I got from the bridge. That should keep me supplied with material for awhile. :)post-1549-0-43044900-1301604948_thumb.jp

I have been patiently awaiting the outcome of the bridge to nowhere saga. Glad things worked out for you. Keep us posted.

Mark<><

I've found I need to be careful with getting wrought iron-it's like a disease. I have probably 3000 lbs or so-keep looking for more. The worst part is I keep waiting for that "special "project to use it, so the pile keeps getting bigger. I should just start using it on regular stuff.
Mark

I had a student drag in a piece of WI yesterday: 1" round 6' long with eye forge welded on the end. Found it up in the mountains where the old mines were. he wanted to use it to forge an axe from. I suggested he use a similar piece of 1084 I had to hand instead. Now to talk him into sharing the location...

I've found I need to be careful with getting wrought iron-it's like a disease. I have probably 3000 lbs or so-keep looking for more. The worst part is I keep waiting for that "special "project to use it, so the pile keeps getting bigger. I should just start using it on regular stuff.
Mark

I would be happy to help make that pile smaller for ya.:D