I Forge Iron

Flower & Hummingbird Coffee Table

Dave,
The top bar is 1/2" x 2". It is held on by 1/2" blind rivets. The Tenons are 3/4" square. The slit 1 1/2" holes on top are purely ornamental. The bar was grooved first and then slit and drifted so the groove would follow the flow of the metal.
George,
I don't have any trouble staying busy these days:<)

John

I like your rendition of a Hummingbird. The coolest part about hand made work is how everyone's rendition will have its own signature look. Of all the pictures I have seen in books and on forums and even my own work, that is really nice. I don't get to travel very often and when I do its to visit museums and art shows. Very rarely do I get to see work like that. Thanks for posting. Spears.

What an incredibly beautiful piece of work!!!

I have just one reservation, and don't take this the wrong way, but I hope there's no small children or animals running about the place!! That tendril looks very sharp and just about at the right level for a crawling child. I'd wrap that sharp edge around.. and tuck it in. (but that's just me) Sorry, I can't help but seeing these things this way, I'm a mother!

Aside from that, wow! Do show some pics with the glass on!!

Colleen,
The tendrils are not as sharp as they could be. I live alone and Archie(My Puppy Pooch) stays out side and keeps me safe from saber tooth bunnies and wilderbeasts. I would not take offense to your observation, I appreciate and learn from others feedback. If I still had kids around I would not opt for a table with a glass top( The word "stitches" comes to mind:<)...).
Thanks everyone for the kind words,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a beautiful piece of work. hopefully i will be able to one day make something as good. still new to smithing and in fact am still trying to get everything set up yet. one question i have is what would you sell something like that for.
again beautiful work.