I Forge Iron

Bulldoze bender

macbruce

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S ALIVE!.... :lol: .... After much hasseling with the pendant I finally got it. It's actually more sensitive with the electric valve than the manual spool valve. I don't have any but I'm sure it will curve 3/4x1 1/2'' cold on edge like it's predcessor. I use the ''doughnuts'' over the pins so as to not mar the workpiece or the pins. The pins are W1 which has a rockwell hardness of 21 in the annealed state which I hoped would be hard enough to prevent them from maring but they'll need to heat treated......the shown in the bender is 1'' sq.

post-15096-0-42740100-1355865128_thumb.j

post-15096-0-79084000-1355865180_thumb.j

post-15096-0-62835500-1355865231_thumb.j

I would love to try making something like this but I fear my technical expertise might fall a bit short. I was wondering if you might be willing to provide us with a bill of materials of sorts. More what mechanical items you purchased rather than a metals list. If I'm stepping on your toes here then please ignore this post but I have to say that looks like a marvelous machine and would be very handy in my shop. But I would get totally lost trying to determine which switch to buy or solenoid valve to purchase. Hydraulic tank?

Again I enjoyed this thread very much and admire your ability to assemble the mechanical components into a working machine.

Looks good, which switch did you end up using?

The same dog dang one they  kept sending me.... :wacko:  ....I got someone who new his butt from a hole in the ground and all it took was switching one wire to a different pole......The left is original and the right is aok.....I'll post a parts list soon.

post-15096-0-63318600-1356048680_thumb.j

. But I would get totally lost trying to determine which switch to buy or solenoid valve to purchase. Hydraulic tank?

The tank is included with the power pack. These can be had at Northern and Surplus Center too, but Phx was the cheapest.

11-3244 pendant from Surplus Center....(must be altered as per previous post)....http://www.surpluscenter.com/pages/Catalog285-152.pdf

Wiring schematic complements of Ciladog.

post-15096-0-18916000-1356229756_thumb.j

post-15096-0-03836000-1356230711_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Been following this one for a bit, and hate to sound Croc Dundee-ish, but those are not Bull Dozer benders, Calf maybe.  This is a Bull Dozer Bender, see machine in the front left.  Name is on the press arm.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/12320?size=_original#caption

IIRC those beams are 1"or 1.5"x4" solid steel, and is one of the component of an Arch Bar truck used under early railroad freight cars.

Rich C.

Been following this one for a bit, and hate to sound Croc Dundee-ish, but those are not Bull Dozer benders, Calf maybe.  This is a Bull Dozer Bender, see machine in the front left.  Name is on the press arm.

IIRC those beams are 1"or 1.5"x4" solid steel, and is one of the component of an Arch Bar truck used under early railroad freight cars.

Rich C.

Cool picture......... The format of my ity bity machine resembles the real honkers do so Buldoze Bender it was. I took this picture in 2011 of one (not the same brand) that has since been since scrapped and my old friend Cyrus has passed as well. This Bulldozer, still mounted in place had General Iron Works of Englewood Colorado torn down around it.

post-15096-0-95613000-1357181685_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A few final touches...I built a lil' tweaker attachment(s) to do small stuff; the piece in the pics is 7/16 rd. The static piece that has the two 5/8'' rounds welded to it for the bending form can be turned 180* and have a different form welded to it in the future.

Since this attachment covers the small stuff I'm thinkin' I just might put my Diacro #3 on the block.....Great tool, but I wouldn't miss walking around it's 3 foot handle.

Two new outboard form pin holders are shown as well.

post-15096-0-60077700-1365344747_thumb.j

post-15096-0-72734700-1365344786_thumb.j