I Forge Iron

Bulldoze bender

macbruce

I thought this might be of some interest .....I needed a tool to bend grip rail in the shop and field, and this is what I came up with. A horizontal press format was rejected because
the danger of edge bending is much higher. A 110v hydraulic power pac, 4" cyl, and beefy I beam were the primary components. It produces around 15t , and will bend 3/4 by 1 1/2+ on edge, this varies + - as to the placement of the pins.The stock being bent in the pic is 1/2 x 1 1/2. The control can be removed to a stand for bending circles, ect, otherwise the stock could come around and hit it................mb

post-15096-0-51972300-1295540902_thumb.j

post-15096-0-97997900-1295541739_thumb.j

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, you must take some big stuff out in the field. That looks like a stationary tool to me.

Looks handy. :)

I lift it with a hoist, and put it on 2 wheel trailer. No problem. I reckon it weighs 300-400lbs, not a hand lift for me, but there are some...............mb

How is it set up, so the post that the ram pushes stays in track?
I like it.

The ram block is captured above by the slotted plate, and below by the channel created by the two lower pin plates, also by the round plate underneath which travels along with the ram, this probly would not have been needed if the block holding the bull pin had been wider, (the thing lifted under load and galled the bottom of the upper plate)so more surface area would likely prevent that . The alignment of the pins between upper and lower is critical.........mb

edit: I was just studying the pic from below. making the ram block wider is tricky because it will spread the inboard pins. It's nice to have those pins close together..............so I rekon the traveling plate underneath Isn't redundant after all, It's been a few years since I built this bad boy........

post-15096-0-32386600-1296140069_thumb.j

post-15096-0-58137100-1296140180_thumb.j

I've been watching this thread for awhile and thought I'd send along some pics of the three point bender I've used for the past ten years or so. The first pic shows the bender itself. It's main frame is made of 4"x4"x1/4"wall tube. Mounted on the back leg of the "T" shape frame is a port-o-power type hydraulic cylinder,this is actuated by an air over hydraulic pump with foot switch.The top leg of the "T" has two vertical pins in carriages that can be moved in or out to help make tight or long slow bends easier to form. The second pic shows bending a piece of 1 1/8" octagonal bar. This bender easily bends 2"x2"x1/4" tube or 1/2"x2" flat.

post-11-0-51539900-1296172017_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-24396000-1296174037_thumb.jpg

I've been watching this thread for awhile and thought I'd send along some pics of the three point bender I've used for the past ten years or so. The first pic shows the bender itself. It's main frame is made of 4"x4"x1/4"wall tube. Mounted on the back leg of the "T" shape frame is a port-o-power type hydraulic cylinder,this is actuated by an air over hydraulic pump with foot switch.The top leg of the "T" has two vertical pins in carriages that can be moved in or out to help make tight or long slow bends easier to form. The second pic shows bending a piece of 1 1/8" octagonal bar. This bender easily bends 2"x2"x1/4" tube or 1/2"x2" flat.

That one is portable in the true sense of the word......Looks like it could be used on an already installed railing, a big plus. I've got a hand pump that would work for that.........can't have too many toys.......................mb

macbruce.. Thanks, that's the shop model........it's semi portable. the portable one is made of 1"x1"x1/4" tube and I use it on already installed rails and for making templates on lighter stock for curved rails.
On the shop model I use the 10 ton cylinder and the portable the 4 ton.
You'll see that the carriages for the pins are movable and have a locking bolt on the backside that isn't visible in the pic.This way they can be positioned anywhere along the length to fit between obstructions and also to make tight or slow bends more easily.
The hand pump works well but it's slow.....then again what is slow when there is no other way :)
Here's a pic of how I built the sliding member during construction.The pins just drop in and fixtures can be fabed to hold awkward shapes.

post-11-0-91997400-1296251150_thumb.jpg

MB you could make it a lot more portable. Use quick connect couplers on the pump lines by the valve and make the bending assy. separable from the pump assy then you could modify a hand pump to power the valve. Normally hand pumps have single acting cyls. attacked so the do not have a return line but if you modify the hand pump so there is a port on the reservoir you can plump the return line of the valve into.

but hey it is a great thing for sure and has great drool appeal to those who know.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's what I did. More limited that macbruces, in that circles would be harder. I'm getting packed for space in the metal working side of the shop, having several operations in one footprint has an appeal.
Plus, I had all the parts at my feet. I do get a little more push out of the upper cylinder, both move fairly fast off one valve.

post-13152-0-17862600-1297722150_thumb.j

post-13152-0-70425600-1297722177_thumb.j

Tala, you're idea has some merits, quick connects would be a good addition in any case,the long hoses are a pain when transporting. the thing is 400lbs so it will never be truly portable, If I can get it within 50ft +- of where I'm bending a handrail etc, that's close enough. 110v is never a problem. Now Doc's, that's portable..........

Poleframer, I don't know what to say, other than your rig is truly unique! Are there wheels for it too? I'd love to see that goin' down the road............Have you ever owned a Swiss Army Knife?

Now Doc's, that's portable..........

Poleframer, I don't know what to say, other than your rig is truly unique! Are there wheels for it too? I'd love to see that goin' down the road............Have you ever owned a Swiss Army Knife?

I'm thinking tracks, for some serious off-road forging.
Now your getting my projects ALL mixed up!

post-13152-0-14733500-1298157675_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here's what I did. More limited that macbruces, in that circles would be harder. I'm getting packed for space in the metal working side of the shop, having several operations in one footprint has an appeal.
Plus, I had all the parts at my feet. I do get a little more push out of the upper cylinder, both move fairly fast off one valve.

Poleframer: How do you power the cranksaft for the powerhammer side of your machine or is their an electric motor or belt that I am not seeing? Armand Tatro

Well, here's what I did.

I had to take another look at your creation, and noticed what looks fabricated horizontal channels supporting the press bed? If so you hate to drive an spend your money even more than me, and I'm no small piker when It comes to that.........True tenacity

Hi Armand, my hammer is hydraulic run, I have a hydraulic piston motor (wheel motor) low speed, high torque. Its mounted on the back post of the press, with a drag link to the connecting rod to the back shackle of the spring. The foot pedal operates a flow control valve.
I should post another vid, I'm really liking the control this setup gives. Made some changes to the dies since the last I posted, they bolt to tabs instead of through the hammer shaft , and made a tong die.
BTW, yea, macbruce, I'll probably scrap the frame, and re-do it all. I put the frame together in a day or two out of my scrap pile, just for the press, the hammer happened 2 years later. Everything is well welded, not worried about it flying apart on me, but the 4" ram does bend the channel that I scabbed into box with more plate. I only use the press for straightening stuff, or pressing parts, I wouldnt attempt forging with it. Right now its a prototype, me and a friend are building him a similar unit, with substantial structural steel.

post-13152-0-54666800-1300900057_thumb.j

post-13152-0-76635000-1300900142_thumb.j

post-13152-0-14750100-1300900508_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I decided to do a long need attachment(s) for the BDB, which took half a day but was well worth the time I think.......I long wanted to bend small stock, 1/2'' and below into compound and tight bends but the other attachments were too big. It may seem overkill to use a ten ton tool to do this but I no longer have to light the flamin' torch or put the piece in the vice to work it......110 volts is cheap. Little innies and outies are a breeze.

post-15096-0-80993900-1337015291_thumb.j

post-15096-0-68265200-1337015339_thumb.j