I Forge Iron

Bulldoze bender

macbruce

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a sculptor friend of mine made me an offer that I couldn't refuse on my old bulldoze bender so I'm building another with some features that will improve the machine. The most important of which is to be able to bend a 90 deg angle with the widest two pins, which should be no problem since I've increased the cylinder stroke from 6'' to 8''. I'm still using a 4'' cyl with a 110v 2500 psi self contained power unit, power was never an issue with the old one.
The channel iron is 12''x3''x36. the sides will be 36''x1/2''........more to come..........

post-15096-0-65369500-1352600313_thumb.j

post-15096-0-98398700-1352600343_thumb.j

Bruce have a look at this Euromac video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fpnHH5286EI The one advantage of having your bending pins that are far apart mounted to the ram rather than on the table is that you can bend a circular piece or a 180 with a smaller diameter than the width of your cylinder.

The bulldozer bender I bought has been one of the most profitable tools I have bought for the shop. I have used it for a lot of cold bending, as well as hot bending, forging, upsetting, stamping, and hot shearing. I plan on using it for punching and maybe putting a rod shear into it. The cold bending jobs have usually been very profitable and the number stamping I regularly have to do on an ongoing job, now takes about half an hour each time as opposed to the hour and a half it used to take.

Having a limit switch to stop the ram in the same spot every time is really handy when you have to make a bunch of pieces the same. In my press it can be a pain at times for one off pieces because as soon as I take my foot off the pedal it returns so I can find it hard to sneak up on a stop point. But having a consistent stop can be really useful.

That looks like quite the machine, but mine has no ''motherboard'' to fry unless you consider me a motherboard.... ^_^ What I need is a simple, in the trenches, free form bending machine that is ready when I am to simply bend a chunk of metal when I don't want to fire up the torch or the forge. And that is alot when I'm doing things like the colt made of forged branches I'm sure analog limit switches could be fitted but I prefer the old 'meat computer' ....I reckon having the outboard pins on the ram has it's advantages but this is simpler to engineer and the pins are easy to change quickly.....It is what it is.... :)

I understand, the one I picked up used does not have the computer it is just limit switches but complicated circuits are still a concern. Just a stop would not be that complicated or expensive to put in but for the type of work you are showing it is of no use.

Got the bull pin carrier built and slotted the chanel to fit the stroke.....Next will come the top and bottom pin plates that will be attached to the top of the channel and the top of the side plates......Shown in silver is the approximate layout for pin holes on the top of the channel.

post-15096-0-53402600-1352752882_thumb.j

post-15096-0-86406000-1352753213_thumb.j

post-15096-0-88650000-1352753242_thumb.j

post-15096-0-19829500-1352753267_thumb.j

post-15096-0-83711200-1352753328_thumb.j

Lookin' good Bruce. Is that an air supply quick connect on the cylinder? Just checking the throw?

LOL, I can tap it in with a soft hammer but I can't pull it out so I got rude and put 90psi to it, it's pretty snappy too!...........The power unit arrived today, all I need now is the valve, some hoses, the pin stock and about 12 more hours.............

Will it become Omniversable?

Good question, I guess.... :huh: .....If you mean will it be able to bend on the backstroke or do some usefull function I don't know, never even considered that. There could be posibilities I never even thought of...... The nut welded to the ram pin reciever that the rod screws into was only meant to return it, not go under much load.......
HEY, time out.........whadaya mean, Omniverable with a capital O Danger??? I just Googled that word and it came up zip point XXXX.....Are you pullin my leg or what? :lol:

Hey Bruce, looking good.
Been on logwork a lot, but toying with a few ideas still.
The gearcase here is out of a small john deere tractor, powered with a hydraulic motor. Still prototype, will be needing a heftier I beam to attach the powerhead to.
Took out the spider gears and made a sleevable chuck that fits snug in the diff case. I will be building a cover over it before I get much further with it.

John Deere Twister

post-13152-0-52070100-1354161490_thumb.j

post-13152-0-99689600-1354161515_thumb.j

post-13152-0-85596100-1354161676_thumb.j

Sorry I missed that one, ya know Omniversal-Fabricated Anvil

Ah, a Grantism! I'm honored......Unlike Grant's omniversal anvil my little bender is pretty much a one trick pony....Free form bending of small to medium stock is all I need it for.....If I need precise angle bends or get into larger material to bend and such I'll use the H frame.