I Forge Iron

Railroad spike challenge

First off.. dont ask why... Because I dont know :blink:

For some reason today I drew out a rail spike as long as I could ( not really, I could have gone back over and thinned it out a bit more but you get the idea)

So I dont think this is a record... but I think its a fair first try.. 58".. So what do you got?

Just for clarification... I drew it out on my saymak hammer... it took 6 heats... Points for doing it by hand or in fewer heats

Step up and show us what you got!

Overall measurement.. You must leave the head untouched

post-2750-000964800 1286346238_thumb.jpg

post-2750-055583800 1286346239_thumb.jpg

post-2750-069337700 1286346240_thumb.jpg

Thomas..... If you have never done anything that could be considered useless... You're missing out on a lot of life... Even ...."just for experience"...... has value.

Power hammer work.... This is where I stopped... With a helper, it probably could have been drawn out close to twice as far. I didn't keep track of heats.

post-585-039130800 1286384811_thumb.jpg

post-585-060600500 1286384826_thumb.jpg

I'll try to remember to get some pics posted but I've drawn RR spikes down to about 5/16" for different things on a K40 Kuhn some years ago. I stopped drawing around 33-38" though so I'm not even in the running. I made a set of hay hooks and various rattle snake goodies.

Pics later.

Frosty the Lucky.

I'll try to remember to get some pics posted but I've drawn RR spikes down to about 5/16" for different things on a K40 Kuhn some years ago. I stopped drawing around 33-38" though so I'm not even in the running. I made a set of hay hooks and various rattle snake goodies.

Pics later.

Frosty the Lucky.

Two questions Frosty,what kind of goodies do the snakes tend to buy and are they willing to pay well for them?
I`m guessin` key fobs or finger/ear rings wouldn`t be a big seller with that crowd. :)

Longest one I have seen was at a Quad-State where a fellow had taken a double stake, (they are made in pairs than then cut into separate stakes) and removed the second head and so had more stock to start with.

Dave; I'm just not much into competition; shoot I spend a ton of time helping other folks out with what they are doing and have enough claims on my free time that I would rather be doing stuff I want than trying to beat other people at stuff they have done. Feel free to consider me in last place!

The spike was just a standard size HC... It's drawn down to about 3/16th and less.. That was enough.

Thomas.. Not a matter of competition, just fun. If I felt competitive, I would have drawn it down to under 1/8th, and still have expected someone to do better.

It's just play time. I'm sure you've had your share of that with your hobbies.

Two questions Frosty,what kind of goodies do the snakes tend to buy and are they willing to pay well for them?
I`m guessin` key fobs or finger/ear rings wouldn`t be a big seller with that crowd. :)

The only rattle snake goody I have left is a candle holder but I think I know where the hay hook is.

If you draw them out enough and get a really nice helical bend going they sell out fast. Snakes like their spring outfits you know. :rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky.

• 2 months later...