I Forge Iron

interesting anvil design

Thousands of anvil makers out there in history, not everything looks like a "London Pattern" http://www.oldworldanvils.com/anvils/workhorse.html

Naturally, it was just that I hadn't seen one before with that distinctive a design before, so I was curious if anyone knew anything about it.

Actually if you look at some of the Czeck made London pattern anvils the back is on a 45 like that. I think there are some significant advantages to having the 45 on the back like that, lots of power hammer dies are shaped the same way. Many shoulders do not have to be square and you are much less likely to get a cold shut on a corner that is set over that anvil edge. That corner is used for aggressive drawing and that corner is much less likely to chip, again that corner is much less likely to cause a cold shut if used for drawing.

Actually if you look at some of the Czeck made London pattern anvils the back is on a 45 like that. I think there are some significant advantages to having the 45 on the back like that, lots of power hammer dies are shaped the same way. Many shoulders do not have to be square and you are much less likely to get a cold shut on a corner that is set over that anvil edge. That corner is used for aggressive drawing and that corner is much less likely to chip, again that corner is much less likely to cause a cold shut if used for drawing.

Makes sense. Thanks!