I Forge Iron

Let's talk SAFETY

Glenn

As blacksmiths everything we handle is either hot, heavy, sharp, or dangerous. SAFETY is a personal responsibility.

When grinding I wear glasses, and use ear plugs to both keep the dust and grit out of my ears, and to protect my hearing. But it turned out that the shield being in place on the angle grinder was the most important safety device.

The grinder was brought up to speed and let run for a minute or so before starting. It had been in use for several minutes when the disc fractured. They do break and without warning. This part of the grinding disc remained on the machine, the rest was not found.

Your safety is your personal responsibility. Please, play safely.

Glenn is very right on this! I've had the same thing happen after I was done grinding and the grinder was bumped off the table by mistake and landed on the ground disc first, the next time I used it - apart it came looking very similar to the one in the above picture. If I'm the only one that has either dropped or bumped a grinder to the floor, then I'm one in a million. I'm sure it's happend to most of us, for your own safety and others that may be around you, inspect a dropped grinder for a cracked or broken disc - you'll be glad you did.

Anyone using composite wheels of any type needs to be familiar with the manufacturer's safety warnings and also A.N.S.I. warnings/guidelines. Take heed of FrankW's advice- if something does'nt "feel right" STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Read my post in non-blacksmithing (yippee). Bad things happen but a lot can be avoided by common sense. I have been hurt on the job by carelessness/stupidity of others and carelessness/stupidity of my own. I have had my hardhat knocked off my head by a plasma jet by someone using an air arc inside a boxcar and not knowing who/what was on the outside where his jet was going. I have been mashed into walls by cowboy forklift jockeys and lots of other stuff that should not have happened, but it did. Always be aware of what others are doing around you but never forget this golden rule- safety is YOUR responsibility.

I've never had it happen to me, but I saw on Biker Build Off in the Discovery Channel, One of the Builders was using a Chop Saw and the Blade came apert on film. They even showed it again in slow motion. The pieces just missed the guys belly! Always use the guards built on the machines. Quit your complaining and learn to work around the Guards!

I use a broken bench grinding wheel to clean the scale from items being tempered. No idea how it got broken, but it serves as a reminder that they do break.

And who has not picked the little wires from a wire wheel, that embed themselves point first in our clothes? Aprons sure do help, but who said those little wires only attack the belly region of the body? Eye protection is a must have item when using wire wheels.

Welders help us out here, you know the hazards, give us your advice on safety in your craft.

Machinest we need your imput also. I know NOT to wear gloves around anything that rotates, but what are the safety issues in your craft?

The woodworkers are invited to jump into the discussion also. Your craft has rotation (lathe), sharp tools, and power machinery (saws, etc) to deal with. What are the safety issues in your craft?

And any other craft is welcome to add to the discussion. Tell us about the safety issues in your craft.

I had my chop saw go ballistic once. I don't even know what caused it to shatter, but the guard caught all of it.

A broken belt on a belt grinder can be exciting.

When the drill bit catches when breaking through the other side, it likes to grab. If the piece is not clamped down, it spins and smacks your thumb pretty hard.

And don't leave hot pieces on the anvil if you have to answer the phone. That way, if you turn the corner too sharply and jab your thigh on the horn of the anvil, then lose your balance (saying "OW! OW! OW!") and stick your hand on the anvil to steady yourself, you won't end up with a leaf-shaped burn on the palm of your hand, (saying something stronger than "OW! OW! OW!").

I always wear earplugs when arc welding to keep the popplers from dancing on my ear drum.

Never try to grab a continuous chip coming from a lathe, mill, drill press.

Resist the temptation to smash a golf ball in the power hammer..

Hi. I have a question about wire wheel safety.

I have read about many scary incidents involving out of control wire wheels, then I noticed some recommendations about the Harbor Freight 7" variable speed sander/polisher for using with wire wheels. The RPM is limited to 300-3000, which is lower than similar angle grinders, so it is reported to be more controllable.

The sander does not have a guard, however. How dangerous is this? Is there any recommendation for a makeshift guard? It would seem for a radial (not cup) wire wheel, a guard would offer a lot of protection against flying wires, but it would not have to be as stout as a guard for a grinding wheel.

well about those darn grining disks, i have a 4 1/2" grinder and i was using it on a forgewelded billet i had, and i was in the middle of a mild-steel piece when the edge chopped into the high-carbon file i had on the other half, well the outer 1/2" of the wheel was completely shattered and i checked my body to make sure no harm, and in my right bicept i founf a 1"X1/2" piece stuck half way in my arm, along with several other smaller pieces of wheel. so from first hand experiance, always check your wheels, even brand new ones, and don't use a wheel that is worn, or broken.

well, i know this can be over annalized, and it can be rather annoying when you have a couple hundred people lecturing you about it. but it's good to get a good talking to about every 3-5 years.

yesteryearforge gave me a great bit of advice with wire brushes. He said that a lot of wires that go into or around the eyes even while wearing safety glasses is because the person is turned to the side of the one wire brushing. Even with safety glasses on I try to either have my back turned to the one brushing or facing them head on. I also try hard not to shoot them his direction by staying aware of how I am wire brushing with the grinder...

Peyton

Never grind, cut, or weld near your reloading supplies. 1000 Magnum rifle primers going off in unison (mass detonation) make a fairly lound racket... It IS a very fast way to completely clear off a work bench though.

Also (learned from Mike-hr), if the Mill, Lathe, Drill Press "whatever large power equipment", wants the workpiece, let it have it. It's just plain rude to deny it. Plus, reaching your hand for a peice of steel rotating on a mill might cost you a hand...

Don't use a torch (or probably a plasma) when wearing mesh running shoes...

Just because spit doesn't sizzle, doesn't mean it's cool enough to touch yet.

A guard for a wire wheel can direct a lost piece right back at you rather than flinging it across the room. Since I am adverse to catching flying metal using my body as a backstop I prefer to be unguarded.

I was given a slow speed bench mount grinder system that I love for wirebrushing, it doesn't throw as many wires or pieces!

Thomas

This is a copy of my posting under "wire wheels"

I run an 8" wire wheel on a pedestal grinder. Once as I was cleaning up a piece of 3/8" round stock that I had forged into a hook on one end and a leaf on the other, the wheel grabbed it.

Cut my lip inside & out, several sore teeth, small mouse under my eye. All of this while wearing a face shield. Tore the shield from the headband.

What would it have done without the face shield? Which, by the way, I only started wearing after #1 son came to visit & walked up and pulled a couple of wires out of my cheek that I had not noticed.

When that wheel grabs, it is way to late to "duck and cover".

I still use those wheels, but very much more carefully than before. This made a Bill Epps believer out of me ,by using a variable speed sander-polisher with a wire cup wheel in his videos

• 1 year later...

Figured I would bring this back to the top.

Good idea to check your grinding wheels by holding them on your finger through the hold and tapping them.

I worked/ran the machine shop at college and I can tell you, it is scary what you see in there from people going through engineering classes. (including the ever popular person running the drill on reverse and standing there a minute wondering why it isn't cutting)

Drill presses: I have seen people drilling on large drill presses (I'm talking the table being 4 foot square) and not holding what they are drilling. Even on smaller presses. Or not using a vice to hold it. I would tell them to hold it.. they would put a finger on it. :mad: Half the time I had to yell at them to get it through their head.

I have seen some large vises get thrown off tables 6 feet when the bit grabs from incorrect speed and improper usages.

If you have a vertical mill, always remember to NEVER leave the wrench on the shaft.. One person did (unfortunately I was not there to see it) and I guess the shaft ended up shooting up and hitting the ceiling from what I was told (although I have my doubts it was that spectacular). Same goes for chuck keys on drill presses and lathes. You can get safety keys that are spring loaded and will pop out on their own if left in the hole.

A cutoff wheel from a dremel will sting with it shatters.. one from a 4" grinder will not feel good. I have yet to have one shatter but am thinking of getting a full face shield. I usually use safety gogles and hearing protection.

I always recommend to use vise grips when using belt grinders and wheels especially small parts. This is from first hand experience one time when I was in a hurry and not thinking (That won't happen again.. I have a nice scar to remind myself)

Safety glasses.. anything ANSI z87 should work.

Always remember there is no excuse to be in such a hurry to not consider your own and others' safety first.