I Forge Iron

A big ring for a kettle stand

I am building a three-legged kettle stand for a big iron pot.

I need an 80" inside circumference ring; probably going to use 1/8" x 1.5" flat stock. (roughly 25.5" diameter)

I don't have a tire roller or any fab tools.

Any ideas on how to get this ring as close to round as possible?

I'm rolling around several ideas, but it's always cheaper in the long run to just ask first.

Thanks,

Don

if you can find somthing to wrap it around thats a bit smaller that works . or open jaws of vice and slight bend every few inches . the biggest problem is dealing with that leingth of steel it kinda gets in the way till its somwhat round. good luck!

Got friends? You can use a wooden form to bend around if you are *fast* and have friends to help and can heat the entire length at one time. Helps to soak the wood a bit and be prepared for smoke, fire and steam!

If you think you may do this several times a concrete form may be in order.

Are you bending it flat or on edge?

On edge
Chalk/mark out your dimension on a plate and use bending forks to manipulate it in progressive secions to conform to the size marked, until complete use a longer piece than the circumference and trim off the overlap and weld by your preferred method

On flat,
Chalk/mark out your dimension on a plate. Use the swage block or the anvil, place your piece over a suitable gap in the swage block, or use a wedge shaped block on the anvil, and gently hammer the workpiece down as you move it along,

If you are only using 1/8" x1.5", you can bend it cold over your knee or between a couple of wood posts used like bending forks.

I have found chalking things out on the floor before I start to be a big help. I use my daughter's sidewalk chalk. It's good for taking Papa breaks to play hopscotch too! Often times on larger metal I will change the arch by using the floor as an anvil and light hammer blows.

You want it level. If bending flat, the "easy way," do not feed it diagonally through the fork and/or wrench. If bent on edge, it is easier to hammer-level it than if bent on the flat.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

When done the ID will be 25.46 inches, not all that big but awkward starting out with 80 inches. If you are bending hot, do it in sections, but in 1/8" you can probably do it cold, bending around a form of approximate size then adjust to finish. Draw a nice cirle in chalk or soapstone on the floor to check your radius as you work. I have done this many times when building pot racks. To support a big pot containg liquid I might use heavier bar than 1/8". 3/16" or 1/4 may be more appropriate and durable. Is this to be supported on legs or suspended in some way?

Many thanks to all. Input like this saves a lot of trial and error, even on things that are not that difficult.

This ring will be bent easy... like a wagon tire. Still debating whether to weld the joint or lap and rivet it.

And yes, Pat, I was looking at a sample section and I agree that 1/8" is too light.

I am going to use three legs, and I will fix these with rivets.

Any more advice would be great.

Don

Remember that when you start a circle there is always a flat section at the beginning, so add 6 inches or so to the total measure. When you get the circumference right, cut through the overlap and BOTH pieces of metal at the same time to insure a matched edge.

Use a 55 gallon drum to form the ring. This can be done cold and the metal will give you a little spring back so you can easily adjust to a larger size if needed.

When using rivets, countersink the inside hole and form the rivet on the outside. (do not ask how I know this).

I would use my hammer - and hammer the stock over a void such as the hardy hole or the like, it's pretty light stuff.
My only input is to mark the bar out with a marker every 1.5 inches or so that way you are not hitting the same spot more than anywhere else in the ring. Perhaps a couple of passes rather than one that may be too tight.

Thanks to all of the kind advice, I got the ring formed yesterday afternoon.

The "hammering over a void" method worked like a charm. I even welded up a nice "void tool" for the hardy.

I've got some pictures on the camera, so I'll post 'em when I get everything finished up.

Again, and seriously, thanks to all for the help. Who knows how long I would have spent figuring this out on my own.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some progress pictures:

This is the curling tool I made for the hardy-

post-124-056495300 1274813497_thumb.jpg

This is what the stock looked like with the 1" lines layed out-

post-124-011458000 1274813508_thumb.jpg

This is after the first pass-

post-124-088382200 1274813521_thumb.jpg

And this is after three passes (almost complete)-

post-124-092043000 1274813534_thumb.jpg

I hope to have it finished in a day or two.

Don

Sounds like you're making an apple butter kettle stand...

Yeah, pretty much the same thing, but I doubt this one will ever see apple butter duty.

It is for an iron pot (laundry pot / dye pot) at a circa 1790 historic site.

Now you've got me thinking about apple butter. :rolleyes:

Apple butter on hot corn bread with real butter is a true delicacy.

Apple butter GOOOOOOOD! Here's a little different use for it, desert pizza. Make or thaw a non garlic pizza crust, sprinkle with a little cinnamon and spread with apple butter, lay on a few toppings if you wish and then sprinkle with some chedar cheese and bake in a HOT oven. When the cheese is melted and bubbly, remove, slice and be REALLY careful not to burn your mouth.

Frosty the Lucky.

Apple butter GOOOOOOOD! Here's a little different use for it, desert pizza. Make or thaw a non garlic pizza crust, sprinkle with a little cinnamon and spread with apple butter, lay on a few toppings if you wish and then sprinkle with some chedar cheese and bake in a HOT oven. When the cheese is melted and bubbly, remove, slice and be REALLY careful not to burn your mouth.

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty,you are just full of surprises!I`ll have to try this on SWMBO this weekend.
Thanks.
What do YOU use for toppings,oh Lucky One?